System-tray client required? RRS feed

• Question

• When I installed the connector software it adds "Windows Home Server" to the startup folder. When rebooted the icon appears in the system tray. Is that necessary for backup to wake the client from sleep? It's installed on my kids' computers and I'd like to reduce the clutter of icons. I've determined I can move the shortcut out of startup and the system tray icon won't show up on reboot. But will it do a nightly backup?

This isn't a big deal but I like to eliminate unnecessary/unused system tray icons, where possible.

Chris
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:18 AM

Answers

• No, the icon isn't required; backups will run without it. Without it, however, users don't have easy access to functionality such as synchronizing passwords, starting an immediate (manual) backup, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ChrisCowles Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:29 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:58 AM

All replies

• No, the icon isn't required; backups will run without it. Without it, however, users don't have easy access to functionality such as synchronizing passwords, starting an immediate (manual) backup, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ChrisCowles Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:29 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:58 AM
  • In my case, that access is neither necessary nor desirable. My kids can get to the shares by browsing the network, and I'll leave the Shares link on the desktop. Only I have any reason to access the console or other functionality.

Thanks
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:31 AM