Active Controls? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, Does SteadyState allow active controls by default or does internet explorer have to be modified before setup...  I am curious because the library computers dont play video.
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 8:33 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Does SteadyState allow ActiveX Controls by default

----------------

The function of ActiveX Control has nothing to do with SteadyState. The ActiveX Control can only be installed by a user with admin right. That means the restricted users, like normal users are not allowed to install ActiveX Control.

Administrator should first install required ActiveX controls with the “Retain all changes permanently” option enabled. After the installation completes, you can then enable the “Remove all changes at restart” option.

Library computers do not play video

---------------

This issue may not be certainly related to ActiveX Control being blocked. To isolate this issue, we can do so:

1.     Verify if an administrator can see the video playing in the same website.

2.     What is situation for a restricted user after the related Active X has been installed under a admin account.

Sincerely,

Sammy Yu

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 12:49 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Does SteadyState allow ActiveX Controls by default

----------------

The function of ActiveX Control has nothing to do with SteadyState. The ActiveX Control can only be installed by a user with admin right. That means the restricted users, like normal users are not allowed to install ActiveX Control.

Administrator should first install required ActiveX controls with the “Retain all changes permanently” option enabled. After the installation completes, you can then enable the “Remove all changes at restart” option.

Library computers do not play video

---------------

This issue may not be certainly related to ActiveX Control being blocked. To isolate this issue, we can do so:

1.     Verify if an administrator can see the video playing in the same website.

2.     What is situation for a restricted user after the related Active X has been installed under a admin account.

Sincerely,

Sammy Yu

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 12:49 PM
  • Many websites require ActiveX controls to run properly, especially music/video sites that use RealPlayer.  There must be some way to allow add-ons when restricted users are on these websites.  What is it?

JCLS-BB

Friday, August 31, 2007 6:19 PM
  • Hi JCLS-BB,

I think Sammy has answered the question. Only administrators has the privilege to install ActiveX Control. Restricted users can use the installed ActiveX Controls.

Please understand that many ActiveX Controls are harmful adware or even spyware. Unrestricted installation of ActiveX Control may harm the system. Thus, it’s recommend to install ActiveX Controls under an administrator account. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:14 AM
  •  Shawn Shao - MSFT wrote:

Hi JCLS-BB,

I think Sammy has answered the question. Only administrators has the privilege to install ActiveX Control. Restricted users can use the installed ActiveX Controls.

This hasn't been my experience, I've got all of the activex controls installed as administrator, but when I log on as the non-admin with everything locked down, all the activex components are disabled. Any idea why this is??

Friday, September 5, 2008 2:38 AM