Cable Card - How To Integrate? RRS feed

• Question

• So will we be able to install a Cable Card to the HP EX485 and record TV, and then stream it from WHS?  I still have this idea that somehow I will be able to store movies and TV on my WHS for playback to my TV, but from the tiny bit that I understand I have to have some machine between the WHS and the TV in order to display the video.  But anyway, this info came out about Cable Card recently, so perhaps there might be a way for folks with WHS to use it.

http://hothardware.com/News/CableCARD-Now-Open-To-All-No-Need-For-OEM-Installations/
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:27 AM

All replies

• So will we be able to install a Cable Card to the HP EX485 and record TV, and then stream it from WHS?

It will not be supported.  As for being able to, I suppose it would be possible (if you have a DCT that connects to a USB port), but it's not recommended.

I still have this idea that somehow I will be able to store movies and TV on my WHS for playback to my TV, but from the tiny bit that I understand I have to have some machine between the WHS and the TV in order to display the video.

Correct.  That's what I do now (except for using a DCT).  I use a 2 Tuner PCI-E card in my client to record my shows, then dump them off to the server when it's done.

But anyway, this info came out about Cable Card recently, so perhaps there might be a way for folks with WHS to use it.

http://hothardware.com/News/CableCARD-Now-Open-To-All-No-Need-For-OEM-Installations/
    All the announcement at CEDIA does is remove the OEM restrictions.  It doesn't mean it's supported on WHS.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Forgive my ignorance, but what is a DCT?  I googled it but there's a lot of things that correspond to that acronymn.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Digital Cable Tuner.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:09 PM