none
Xbox360 media centre can't find WHS shares

Question

• I can't get my Xbox360 (in the media centre interface) to find shares on WHS. My MCE2005 PC finds it. I have Media Sharing Library on and would also like to share other user created folders?  How do I go about this?
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hrmm, well the Media Center option in the Xbox 360 won't work for the WHS shares. The WHS is not a Media Center OS. So, to view Photo's stored on the WHS on your Xbox 360 you go to the Media tab, select Photos, select Computer and then select the Server (which should show up after discovery).

Are you saying that when you try this, it doesn't work? You can view the Photos, or Music/Videos that you have on your WHS shares?

Also, on the WHS all you need to do to make this work is enable media sharing on the Music, Photos and Videos shares. You can do that by clicking on the Gear icon in the top right of the WHS Console, clicking on Shared Folders, and enabling Media Library Sharing.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:53 AM
  • all you need to do is give guest read rights to the media shares, and add the folders to the Media Center watch list.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 10:25 PM

All replies

• I got my Xbox 360 setup, but didn't try the Media Center option, just choose the Music/Video/Pictures > Computer option in Media screen. The Server should be a selectable option on the list and allow you to play/view the content you have in those Shared folders.

What I thought was really cool was I could play my music and setup a Slide show on my pictures and still control the music without interrupting the slide show.

EDIT: I'm not sure you can share the other user created folders though, only folders inside the Music/Photo/Video shares that are created by default on WHS. I think these folders are specially setup to allow the media sharing option.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Yes, only the 3 folders - Music, Photos & Videos can be enabled for Media Library Sharing.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:15 PM
  • I have got it to connect to WHS via the Xbox Interface but still I can't find it within the Media Centre interface.  Has anyone managed to use Media Centre to find shared media?
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:35 PM
  • Can you access the Music, TV programs, Pictures, and Video's through the XBOX 360 extender interface or any VISTA MEDIA CENTER?
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 4:19 AM
  • The Xbox and Vista Media Centre function together perfectly. Xbox can see all shares on Vista, recorded TV etc but when added a watched folder via the 360 Media Centre it only finds Vista on the network. No sign of SERVER at all. Vista finds all shared folders on WHS. Have uninstalled the extender, deleted WMP shared libraries, re added extender etc and no luck so far.

Oddly enough using the 360 interface I can see and connect to SERVER.  All shares are visible.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:17 AM
  • Hrmm, well the Media Center option in the Xbox 360 won't work for the WHS shares. The WHS is not a Media Center OS. So, to view Photo's stored on the WHS on your Xbox 360 you go to the Media tab, select Photos, select Computer and then select the Server (which should show up after discovery).

Are you saying that when you try this, it doesn't work? You can view the Photos, or Music/Videos that you have on your WHS shares?

Also, on the WHS all you need to do to make this work is enable media sharing on the Music, Photos and Videos shares. You can do that by clicking on the Gear icon in the top right of the WHS Console, clicking on Shared Folders, and enabling Media Library Sharing.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:53 AM
  •  ZacConnect wrote:
    Hrmm, well the Media Center option in the Xbox 360 won't work for the WHS shares. The WHS is not a Media Center OS. So, to view Photo's stored on the WHS on your Xbox 360 you go to the Media tab, select Photos, select Computer and then select the Server (which should show up after discovery).

Thanks for the reply ZacConnect. I can view shares via the Xbox interface.  I can't view shares with in the XBox Media Centre interface. Vista can view all shares on WHS.

ZacConnect wrote:
    That's all set up correctly.  But still for some reason my problem is still there.  Xbox Media Centre can't see WHS on the network.  Odd  :(
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:06 AM
  • As indictated before, Shared folders and through the media blade and Windows Media Center are two different entities.

As you have seen, it is no problem using the shared folders, but you will not be able to run windows media center becuase WHC is not a media center platform.

I think that this is an excellent suggestion to put in.

I would also imagine that at some point, this functionality will be included in the software. During Gates keynote, he talked about IPTV, storage, needing a new router and windows home server. I am sure that the WHC will become a central hub for all of microsofts hardware, as the storage on an xbox is still very limited (even if they do upgrade to a 160gig drive).

It is my intention to purchase a second xbox 360 simply as a settop box once the technology and infrasture is in place.

Dawg

Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Ok, no one has directly answered the fact that this is very important when it comes to integrating with MEDIA CENTER. Does anyone know if this will be supported through Media Center interface. If so this will change the entire industry when it comes to whole house A/V Distribution.

Thanks

Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:49 PM
  • There is a suggestion in the Feedback to have Media Center integrated into WHS.

If you want to vote on it, to show your support for such an option:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=255674
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 4:01 PM
  •  ZacConnect wrote:
    There is a suggestion in the Feedback to have Media Center integrated into WHS.

If you want to vote on it, to show your support for such an option:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=255674

There's actually another suggestion running as well, which has a few more votes and a bit higher rating.  I guess you should vote on both.  :)

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=49499
    Monday, February 26, 2007 5:20 PM
  • I can see the server when it is discovered by the Xbox 360 but it says there is no music or pictures to view. I'm not sure if I'm missing a step here or not. I have the shared folders enabled already. Anything else I could try? Thanks.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 10:42 PM
  • Hello,

I beleive the problem is that the WHS does not know the account that the Xbox 360 Media Center Extender uses to get to its shares.  The 360 uses a already configured account on the media center to get the content it needs to display on the screen.  If you can figure out the password used by the 360 to connect to the media center you could then add that user to the WHS to get the content you want (i.e. videos, music, and pictures)

Thank you,

Bret Macolino

Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:28 AM
  • I solved this issue by enabling the guest account on WHS and setting it so access the video, photo and music shares.  I have my access set to read only.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Thanks drummer1,

That works for me. Now my xbox 360's Windows Media Center can connect to the server shares.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:23 PM
  •  

I had the same problem where I could not see WHS at all from the xbox360.

I tried a multitude of things.

Eventually, I gave full access to the three folders, on the guest account, and I was able to see them on the xbox....

But I have only been able to view two pictures, no music, no videos, just some folders and two pictures.

I've looked at the permissions on the pictures that show and the files that do not show, and can see no difference.

One interesting thing is when I logged on directly to the WHS I got a message saying I was being temporarily logged on, and that any changes made would be lost when I logged off... could that have something to do with this?

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Just cracked it, and thought it would be good to share..

The reason I couldn't see shares, and then intermittently could see a folder and a couple of pictures was an issue with my network.

Even though the two could see each other, any bulk communication between the two wasn't happening.

Just goes to show!

Friday, July 20, 2007 8:45 PM
  • all you need to do is give guest read rights to the media shares, and add the folders to the Media Center watch list.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 10:25 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    all you need to do is give guest read rights to the media shares, and add the folders to the Media Center watch list.

I'm happy to report this has solved my problem. This was driving me crazy and I was about to abandon the Media Center Extender concept altogether.

What confused me was that, during the extender setup, while the extender was adding your folders/files, it would report that it had found xxxxx amount of files, but once it had processed them it would still not display.

The Media sharing help file specifically says that the sharing is not dependent on network or file/folder security so I didn't even think of trying the Guest account.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:11 AM