TMP files left on destination machine when copy completes RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm running synctoy 2 to synchronise digital photos between my PC and a media centre box and have noticed that recently when the process completes it leaves behind large numbers of .tmp files (I seem to recall in the format  FSP-{XXX}.tmp ) - they are all zero length and I think there is 1 per file synchronised, it's no problem deleting them from a script I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this has started to happen and what I might be able to do to stop it happening!

Thanks

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:35 PM

Answers

• It is definitely not clearing up, I've changed permissions on the folder and the shares but that has made no difference.

However, I might have some other problem - I changed the "summary" under properties of  another two files file on the destination PC and that worked but a few seconds later 2 more files appeared for each one in the format newfilename~randomstring.TMP and another SIV<number>.tmp

Something else might be at work here - bit stuck now so I know this is now probably in the wrong please but any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are you saying SyncToy is not cleaning the tmp files after it finishes synchronizing your folders?  Are you running SyncToy through the UI or as a task/service (with SyncToyCmd.exe)?

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:29 AM
  • Yes I am saying that it appears not to be cleaning the tmp files away on completion (I haven't had a chance to check if it is only synctoy as the recipient box is generally written to and read from so I don't generally make any changes to it directly outside of system config).

This is from a manual run via the GUI of a particular folder pair (I didn't have any changes on the other folder pairs so did not see the same problem but I can test that).

Thanks

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:46 AM
  • Hi again

Have you aborted any SyncToy sync session before this happened?  SyncToy cleans up after tmp files after it finishes synchronizing.  It looks like a sync session was aborted and SyncToy did not get a chance to cleanup after it. 

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:16 PM
  • It is definitely not clearing up, I've changed permissions on the folder and the shares but that has made no difference.

However, I might have some other problem - I changed the "summary" under properties of  another two files file on the destination PC and that worked but a few seconds later 2 more files appeared for each one in the format newfilename~randomstring.TMP and another SIV<number>.tmp

Something else might be at work here - bit stuck now so I know this is now probably in the wrong please but any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:06 PM
  • Maria,

I had the same problem three times last night and SyncToy 2.0 aborted each time.  There were three FSP-{XXXX}.tmp files in the root folder for the synchronisation.

John
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. I do not ever abort SyncToy.

Is it okay to delete these files? some of the TMP files are somewhat large (10-20 MB)

thanks!
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:38 PM
  • Geez one of mine is 3GB!!! looks like it is what i suspected a synctoy temp file i will delete
    Saturday, April 21, 2018 3:12 AM