What is "Central Backup Device" RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 machines in my circle.  Two have external drives, and One Care has been instructed to use them for backup.  That works fine.

The 3rd is a "fool-around" machine that doesn't have anything worth backing up.  For a year or two it showed unsuccesful backup as an error that should be corrected, even when viewed on the central machine.  I learned to ignore that, although it was an irritation.

Recently the 3rd machine is showing up as backed up periodically, with those long file names made up mostly of numbers that I presume are zip file names.  The displays will tell me where the files come from, but not where the Central Backup Device is located.  I'd like to know where that is.  Could One Care have found the external drives on other machines in the circle and is using one of them, or is it storing the backup on an Interal Drive on that 3rd machine?  How can I track down where that Central Backup Device is located physically?  'Thuse
    • Edited by ckumark Friday, June 26, 2009 6:12 PM Fixing thread title bug
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:15 PM

Answers

• Centralized backup is backup that is configured on the Hub machine for a Circle, with the destination typically being an external drive attached to the Hub machine (though it can be a network Share anywhere on the network with the appropriate permissions set).
    To use Centralized backup, the backup plan is configured on the Hub as "backup for all computers" which then defaults the backup for all machines in the Circle. You can, however, change a specific PC in the Circle to not use Centralized backup, but to have a unique plan and destination.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:25 PM

All replies

• Centralized backup is backup that is configured on the Hub machine for a Circle, with the destination typically being an external drive attached to the Hub machine (though it can be a network Share anywhere on the network with the appropriate permissions set).
    To use Centralized backup, the backup plan is configured on the Hub as "backup for all computers" which then defaults the backup for all machines in the Circle. You can, however, change a specific PC in the Circle to not use Centralized backup, but to have a unique plan and destination.
    -steve
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:25 PM
  • And I'll add that you can find the backup by looking at the backup folders on the machines hosting an external drive and seeing if there is a folder branch contained within that is named after the PC you are trying to locate the backup for. You will need to change the properties of the backup folder to give you permission to view the contents, though.
    -steve
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Yes, the backup file is on the external drive of the hub machine.  I found it with the help you gave me.  Thanks again, Steve.  'Thuse
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:54 AM
  • You're very welcome.
    -steve
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:07 PM