One Care AV and Call of Duty 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My Kaspersky AV subscription just ran out so I switched to One Care.  Unfortunately this has killed my ability to play Call of Duty 4.  I get massive lag all game.  If I turn off One Care's real time virus scanning all is well.

This was not a problem with Kaspersky.  I do not want to put cod4 into the exception list because I've downloads turned on.

Are there
    suggestions of settings for this?

Thanks.

DP
    Friday, September 12, 2008 7:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• DarkPenguin,

Turning off your main background virus scan may put your computer in jeopardy of getting malware on the machine so it is

not advised that you turn it off for a long period of time, let alone turning it off.  You will need to do that at your own discretion.  If you know what service you need there is a way to add that service by doing the following:

Start Windows Live OneCare Live

On the left side of the disply, click View or change settings

Click the firewall tab, and then click Advanced settings.

Clik the programs list tab and click add

Find the .exe file for the program that you want to allow through the firewall, and then click Open.

Repeat steps 5 through 6 for each program that you want to allow through the firewall.

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Friday, September 12, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Hi,

The firewall is a not an issue.  I turned it off with no improvements.  The AV is what is giving me grief.  I disabled indexing of xml files which should cause the indexing to run less which I presume will cause the AV to be less active.  This seems to help.

DP

Friday, September 12, 2008 8:33 PM
  • I wish One Care would weigh in here

I just became aware the Onecare was the problem

I just thought it was a lack of resources

this new Build Proved that Onecare and Gaming is a serious problem

COD4 crashes so seriously I have had to reinstall the OS

Vista64,

and it effects EA Games Battlefield 1942

I do like one care but please find the problem

and it is with the Anti virus !   

Friday, December 5, 2008 12:29 PM
  • Since we don't have an answer to this thread here, please contact support to have this investigated. OneCare should not be causing the lag or crashes, but it certainly could be the culprit.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:23 PM