Project Requirements Calculation in Resource Analysis RRS feed

• Question

• I am not getting the numbers I expect to see in the Project Requirements table in my Resource Analysis.  Scenario is:

Project 3 is a 10 day project that runs from 10/17 to 10/28, and requires both the captain and science officer roles/resources for the duration of the project.  Both roles are booked 100% for this project.  So from a resource time requirement perspective I should see in the Project Requirements table:

The captain role needs 80 hours on the project and the same for the science officer - two full weeks of work each for the duration.

This equates to half a man month each which is displayed as .48 (why is it not .50?)

Two .48s equals .95.  (It should read 1.0).

Thoughts?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:21 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

There are some potential rounding errors you will come across in the Portfolio Analysis around FTEs which relate to the breakdown of days to months and what you see may depend on the granularity you are using.  In this case for October there are 21 working days - so 10/21 = 0.48 (approx).  We have also tried to keep things consistent between months too - so for example if you need 1 FTE for February and you then delay the project to March, does this mean you can get by with less than 1 FTE?  Basically this is a high level planning tool - but expect to see variances if you switch the granularity about - but what you are seeing is 'correct'.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by JohnProjectPM Friday, August 19, 2011 11:05 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Project Server ??? 2010 / 2007 SP1 June Cu ?

Andre

http://av-epm.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:35 PM
  • PS 2010 latest updates applied.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Hi John,

There are some potential rounding errors you will come across in the Portfolio Analysis around FTEs which relate to the breakdown of days to months and what you see may depend on the granularity you are using.  In this case for October there are 21 working days - so 10/21 = 0.48 (approx).  We have also tried to keep things consistent between months too - so for example if you need 1 FTE for February and you then delay the project to March, does this mean you can get by with less than 1 FTE?  Basically this is a high level planning tool - but expect to see variances if you switch the granularity about - but what you are seeing is 'correct'.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by JohnProjectPM Friday, August 19, 2011 11:05 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:29 PM