64 Bit Functionality RRS feed

• Question

• One of my greatest frustrations with security software at the moment is vendors that say they support 64 bit Vista, or that it's compatible, yet don't tell you that functions / features either don't work in 64 bit, or are not included.  I'd rather know about that up-front, and not after the fact - That seems shady to me.

So... Are is there any functionality / features in OneCare that are missing / do not work in a 64 bit Vista environment?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:37 PM

Answers

• OneCare is fully functional on Vista 64 bit.

If you have other PCs in your Circle running XP or Vista 32 bit, Printer Sharing using OneCare will not work between the 64 bit machine and the 32 bit machines due to driver incompatibilities, but you can share the printer manually with Windows File and Printer sharing.

-steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:45 PM

All replies

• OneCare is fully functional on Vista 64 bit.

If you have other PCs in your Circle running XP or Vista 32 bit, Printer Sharing using OneCare will not work between the 64 bit machine and the 32 bit machines due to driver incompatibilities, but you can share the printer manually with Windows File and Printer sharing.

-steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Thanks Stephen, good to know!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Knowing the OneCare works on 64-bit Vista is great, for I have 9 days left before I have to either update my existing antivirus, or use OneCare. I do have one other question though, are there plans to make Windows Live OneCare functional for Windows Home Server? I have been using OneCare for almost a year now, but if I cannot put OneCare on the WHS system, then I would prefer to find one solution for all of my systems as opposed to having multiple programs for the same function.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:05 PM
  • John, nothing has been announced regarding this and I wouldn't expect it until Home Server v2, which rumors indicate will be 64 bit and based on Windows Server 2008. OneCare for Server will only work on Windows Server 2008 64 bit and the current WHS implementation is based on Windows Server 2003 - 32 bit.

Personally, I see no reason to bog down the server with antivirus software unless you are exposing it to users outside of your control, and allowing them to upload files to the server. Basically, PCs in your network will be protected by client a/v, so files placed in the Shared Folders on WHS will have been scanned at the client.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 2:02 PM
  • That's true, although it still leaves open the risk if someone managed to get on your network (say you're running wifi) and managed to drop something on the box.  Now, that assumes (a) Someone got past your wifi router / firewall, and (b) Someone bypassed security on Home Server - That's a lot of assumptions, so it depends on your level of paranoia if its a risk or not, but that sounds pretty low risk to me.

Friday, August 29, 2008 3:48 PM