windows live one care...not starting after v2 update, it just stalls RRS feed

• Question

•  

There are 3 computers on this live one care....2 here and 1 away.................

one of the 2 here will not update to the newer version... and the other two have.......I have tried all of the wonderfull "fix its"

that I have seen on this forum all to no avail.    ON another page it says to plug in a 20 digit id or number and the only number I have, is a s/n and a product key....................(this to try and get direct help)

so what is the fix for the problem:  antiviru not working, firewall not working and then sometimes it just hangs and says it not responding.

Jan 15th on the event viewer it shows windows live one care error source WNSS........what ever that means..........

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:10 PM

Answers

• This post explains what services need to be running - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

If you are able to start OneCare manually after the first failure at startup, there probably isn't much you can do until you see the next update - due within the next week or so. That problem would be due to resource issues.

To reach support, if it can't validate your subscription, the FAQ explains to select that you are a trial user and outlines the steps needed - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

For the PC that won't update, do you mean that it wasn't offered the update, or it fails to update and presents an error?

If it is the former, how long ago was OneCare initially installed on it?

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:34 PM

All replies

• This post explains what services need to be running - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

If you are able to start OneCare manually after the first failure at startup, there probably isn't much you can do until you see the next update - due within the next week or so. That problem would be due to resource issues.

To reach support, if it can't validate your subscription, the FAQ explains to select that you are a trial user and outlines the steps needed - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

For the PC that won't update, do you mean that it wasn't offered the update, or it fails to update and presents an error?

If it is the former, how long ago was OneCare initially installed on it?

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:34 PM
  •  

It failed to take the update and presents an error.

On one of the other computers it ask if I want to renew.  This is sometime in March..

Friday, January 25, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Let's take it one at a time.

What is the status of all 3 PCs?

Version of OneCare?

Operating System?

OneCare starts or not?

As I understand your problem, 1 PC is still running 1.6 and encountered an error when it tried to update to 2.0. Do you know the exact error? Is OneCare 1.6 still running on that PC?

On another PC, it is on v2, but when you start the computer, it reports that it has encountered a problem and the virus protection and firewall cannot start. Have you looked at the post I linked to in my previous reply for the services that need to be started and set to "automatic?" After it reports the problem, can you go to the Start Menu and start OneCare by clicking the icon to launch OneCare?

On a 3rd PC, OneCare is on v2 and it is running fine, but is now prompting you about renewing? And the subscription expiration is shown as March? Is this the correct date for you 12 month subscription?

-steve

Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:36 AM
  •  

What is the status of all 3 PCs?

Version of OneCare?  ..............1 computer xp home/v1.6 (the one with problems)

1 computer xp home/v2? I assume as the screen is different also showing

3/2/2008 as a renew date running ok

1 computer xp home in Tulsa.  v2.  running ok and renew date

Operating System?

OneCare starts or not?

As I understand your problem, 1 PC is still running 1.6 and encountered an error when it tried to update to 2.0. Do you know the exact error? Is OneCare 1.6 still running on that PC?  yes

pls refer to my original post  ( I have no idea what the exact error is....)

On another PC, it is on v2, but when you start the computer, it reports that it has encountered a problem and the virus protection and firewall cannot start. Have you looked at the post I linked to in my previous reply for the services that need to be started and set to "automatic?" After it reports the problem, can you go to the Start Menu and start OneCare by clicking the icon to launch OneCare?  ................computer 2 is ok! and also showing a renew date of 3/2/2008

On a 3rd PC, OneCare is on v2 and it is running fine, but is now prompting you about renewing? And the subscription expiration is shown as March? Is this the correct date for you 12 month subscription?  .................I assume that is the correct date... it is showing:  3/2/2008 as a renew date and do I want to renew???

Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:24 AM
  •  

Sorry for the delayed reply.

So, as I now understand it, there are 2 machines on 2.0 and they are running fine, but they are simply asking you if you'd like to renew. Even if you choose not to renew yet, since expiration isn't until March, your status should still be green on both of those machines.

On the XP Home machine that you say is still running 1.6 with a failed update to 2.0, I think your best bet is to uninstall OneCare from that machine and reinstall and activate with your subscription LiveID. That will get you to v2 on that machine.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:02 AM
  • OK...................I went ahead and formated and reinstalled...  But for the life of this user, I can not find my "original" sign in name and password..............is there a number or private email I can resolve this problem.

Live one care appears to be working great.

Thanks for your Help!!!

Bert

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:21 AM
  •  giscard wrote:

OK...................I went ahead and formated and reinstalled...  But for the life of this user, I can not find my "original" sign in name and password..............is there a number or private email I can resolve this problem.

Live one care appears to be working great.

Thanks for your Help!!!

Bert

Since you have another PC there, Bert, that is running OneCare v2, open OneCare on that machine and click Help/About... It will show your subscription ID - that is the LiveID you use to activate on the reinstall.

You can also contact support from that activated machine - 

You formatted the PC that was running 1.6 and failed the 2.0 upgrade? Reinstalling Windows? That was extreme, but it will certainly make that machine run much better. :-)

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 12:26 PM