touch screen control (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Flawlessdog posted on 02-07-2011 4:35 PM

Hi all,

We are trying to install WWT with only touch screen controls for User Interface.

Means we would like to not have to use a mouse, or mouse pad, joystick etc.

Problems with zooming and other mouse controls.

Any help pointing to links on the subject, or even where to start looking would be hot.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:06 PM

Answers

• Jonathan Fay replied on 02-10-2011 11:24 AM

WWT was designed to work quite well on Multi-touch, but simple touchscreen lacks zoom capabilities. There are several multi-touch monotors that support the Windows 7 Multi-touch and will work with WWT. I use one on my desktop system.

What type of environment will this be used in? We have some Kiosk features for Musuems and such that might come in handy as well.

Jonathan

All replies

• Flawlessdog replied on 02-10-2011 10:00 AM

So I guess the ideal circumstances under which to operate the World Wide Telescope with touch screen tech
    is to have a multi-touch screen...is that pretty much the size of it? Or is there some success to be had with just touch screen?

*tap, tap, the mic and looks back over shoulder* ...is this thing on?

• Jonathan Fay replied on 02-10-2011 11:24 AM

WWT was designed to work quite well on Multi-touch, but simple touchscreen lacks zoom capabilities. There are several multi-touch monotors that support the Windows 7 Multi-touch and will work with WWT. I use one on my desktop system.

What type of environment will this be used in? We have some Kiosk features for Musuems and such that might come in handy as well.

Jonathan

• Flawlessdog replied on 02-10-2011 11:48 AM

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

This is in fact going to be in a museum kiosk.

Will only have the touch screen for the nav, zooming, etc...at least if we can get away with that.
    The biggest hurdle will be the zoom, and what ever other features are otherwise dependent on the mouse or keyboard.

I am limited on just what I can say here, until the thing is actually installed...makes it a bit harder LOL

Any help I can get with finding these answers would be hot, so thank you again in advance. ^_^

• Jonathan Fay replied on 02-10-2011 11:54 AM

Contact me Off-line at jfay at microsoft dot com.

• Flawlessdog replied on 02-10-2011 1:34 PM

email on the way.

Thank you ^_^

[<b>edited by:</b> Flawlessdog at 10:40 AM (GMT -6) on Feb 11, 2011]
    Wow...coolest thing since buttered toast!