none
One computer in network can't see server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running essentially a peer-to-peer network, but with a Windows Home Server (not WHS 2011) box to handle back-up and other stuff. My development machine (a desktop) behaves exactly as I want, as do a couple of other machines around the house. But my notebook has been defiant now for months.

It's a Toshiba Satellite A205 that I've had for about 5 years. It used to run Vista Ultimate, but last summer (or maybe the one before), I replaced that with Win 7 Ultimate. Even after that, it talked happily
    to the server (though I had some issues with needing to use the Hosts file to get it to reliably talk to other machines sometimes).

However, right after Halloween, it just stopped talking to the server and I haven't been able to get it to do so. What changed in that timeframe is that I came back from a road trip. However, the notebook did back up successfully once after that trip. Then it failed.

Specifically, here's what I see:

- In the Network section of Explorer, the server shows up as a media device and under "Other devices," but not as a computer.

- Double-clicking the icon under "Other devices" gives me a "Server not found" error in the browser; however, double-clicking the media device gets me to shared media on the server (through TwonkyMedia in the browser).

- Using Advanced Admin Console on the Windows Home Server Console, the notebook doesn't show up.

- I've tried reinstalling the WHS connector on the notebook, but it fails at the point at which it tries to find the server.

- I can ping the server from the notebook by IP address, but not by name. The server has a fixed IP address (to enable remote access).

- I can ping the notebook from the server by IP address, but not by name.

- To eliminate a few variables, in the period since the trouble started, I've replaced both the hard drive in the server and the router (both for reasons unrelated to this issue).

- The notebook is in the same workgroup with other machines that see the server without difficulty.

- The problem occurs whether I use a wired connection or a wireless connection to the notebook.

I've considered reinstalling network stuff generally, but can't quite figure out what that means and what I should do.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tamar

Monday, April 2, 2012 7:05 PM

All replies

• Your Pinging problems are probably related to the root cause of your problem. Some questions:

• Have you re-booted your router recently?
    • All machines are on the same subnet and the subnet mask is correct?
    • Where is your DHCP server?
    • Do all devices appear in your IP allocations from your DHCP server (excluding the server which has a fixed IP)?
    • Have you tried assigning an IP address to your server via DHCP?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, April 2, 2012 10:47 PM
  • <<Have you re-booted your router recently?>>

While I haven't rebooted the router recently, as noted, this is actually a different router than when the problem began. That is, the problem has persisted for 5 months across 2 different routers; during that time, the router certainly was rebooted.

That said, no big deal to reboot. So I just did. No difference.

<<All machines are on the same subnet and the subnet mask is correct?>>

Other than the server, all the machines are getting IP addresses automatically, so I'm not setting the subnet.

<<Where is your DHCP server?>>

Not sure how to answer this one. I assume the router handles this?

<<Do all devices appear in your IP allocations from your DHCP server (excluding the server which has a fixed IP)?>>

Yes, I see all the other machines, including the problem notebook, in the DHCP Client table for the router.

<<Have you tried assigning an IP address to your server via DHCP?>>

I actually just changed it to a fixed IP address last week because I needed to, so that remote access to the server would work. Before that, it too was showing up in the DHCP Client table for the router.

I'm really at the edges of my understanding of network stuff here, so if I haven't answered the right question, please ask again.

Tamar

Monday, April 2, 2012 11:21 PM
  • All sounds good - what I don't understand is, given all that, that the fundamental networking activity of Pinging does not work. Try temporarily switching off the firewall on the Server and suspect notebook and trying again.

If that doesn't work, check your Hosts file to ensure the entries are still correct after changing your router, which is likely to be allocating different IP addresses to the original.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Thanks. Tried turning off both firewalls. Ping with a name still fails on both sides.

The only things in the hosts file on the notebook are a localhost entry and a name for a server on a client site.

Tamar

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Then I have run out of ideas!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:52 PM
  • I have found that if I RESTART my laptop, it usually doesn't 'see' the server. However, If I cold boot it all devices show up in the Windows Explorer. Can you go into the Windows Explorer and type (in the address box at top) \\servername and hit enter and get the shares to show up?
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Tukatz - Thanks. I just tried shutting down and starting cold, but still no joy.

Phil - thanks for trying.

Tamar

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:51 PM
  • What are the actual IP addresses of the Server, Notebook and other working computers?

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:15 PM
  • The server is 192.168.1.110.

At the moment, my desktop machine (which has no trouble talking to the server) is 192.168.1.111. The notebook (through a wired connection) is 192.168.1.112. And something with no name shown and a wireless connection is 192.168.1.114; could be the TV, though it's off right now.

Tamar

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:35 AM
  • Someone on another forum suggested putting the server address into the hosts file. That's allowed me to re-install the connector and presumably I'll now get backup for this machine.

Thanks for the ideas.

Tamar

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:26 PM
  • I hope that works for you but for a properly configured home network, there is no need to go anywhere near the hosts file!

Friday, April 6, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Understood. But since I've now asked in several places and nobody seems to have a better answer, I figure the pragmatic one is the way to go.

Tamar

Friday, April 6, 2012 12:55 PM
  • The server is 192.168.1.110.

What IP address is reported if you attempt to ping your server by name from the computer having the problem, if you remove the server from the hosts file and reload that?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, April 6, 2012 2:52 PM
  • The original post said:

"I can ping the server from the notebook by IP address, but not by name."

Friday, April 6, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Phil, that implies an answer to my question, but doesn't actually supply one, since a machine may not respond to a ping for any number of reasons even if the lookup for the machine was successful.

Which is why I asked the question in the first place.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, April 9, 2012 12:33 AM
  • Sorry for the delay. Dealing with craziness with a client, plus the holiday.

The answer is that no IP address is reported. The error message is "Ping request could not find host server <server name>. Please check the name and try again.

Tamar

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:08 AM