Connectivity blocked RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a repeat of a problem that I posted about in 2007.  I suspect that OneCare refreshed the firewall several hours ago.  I now have lost connectivity on my desktop.  Two other computers on the same network have no problems.  Any thoughts?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:04 AM

Answers

• OneCare doesn't refresh the firewall, so I'm not sure what you encountered today or in 2007.
    If a reboot does not resolve it, then you'll need to determine if connectivity is restored if you disable the OneCare firewall. If it does, and a reboot did not resolve it, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If it does not resolve the problem when the OneCare firewall is disabled, I'd be checking your router, the cabling, the network card. If the connection is via Cat5, try plugging into a different port on the router.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:10 PM

All replies

• OneCare doesn't refresh the firewall, so I'm not sure what you encountered today or in 2007.
    If a reboot does not resolve it, then you'll need to determine if connectivity is restored if you disable the OneCare firewall. If it does, and a reboot did not resolve it, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If it does not resolve the problem when the OneCare firewall is disabled, I'd be checking your router, the cabling, the network card. If the connection is via Cat5, try plugging into a different port on the router.

-steve

Monday, June 22, 2009 1:10 PM
  • First of all, and most importantly, I am back up thanks to system restore (rolled back 24 hours).  Second, the reason I mentioned OneCare refreshing the firewall is that you told me that in October 2007 (firewall refreshed once per month) <see archives>.  When I say there is no connectivity, I am referring to Internet Explorer 8 and Outlook Express.  Network status shows that I am connected with packets sent/received. It acts like I am working offline with OE and IE8.  I do keep javascript disabled most of the time and wonder if that could be the culprit?  Who would know if OneCare did any sort of download last night (firewall or otherwise)?  Thanks for the tip about Cat5 and the router port.  I appreciate your input and value your help.

Monday, June 22, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Javascript shouldn't be an issue at all. Thanks for clarifying on the refresh. OneCare updates the rules and signatures, with a refresh of the database once per month, but that shouldn't affect your locally configured settings. It simply replaces the "stock" list of recognized programs with an updated list to block/allow and replaces the a/v signature data.

If you have network connectivity, but just OE and IE are affected, it wouldn't be the cable, router, or a port - probably. (More mysterious things have happened, so I never say never!)

It sounds like a DNS issue, perhaps a Host file, or even something as simple as IE/OE set to "work offline."

-steve
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:29 PM