Helpdesk/desktop support Cert help. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello all.

    So recently I enrolled in a online Tafe course that will give me a cert 3 in information technology, I have been a computer user/lover for many years and have built them for friends including myself (fairly standard I know). I really want to give IT a go, I am a fairly advanced user and wherever I work I seem to become the free IT guy, so when I found myself between jobs I decided that now is a great time to go for it.

    Apart from the course that will give me a good foundation I wanted a better picture of getting my certifications. I am wanting to purse a job in helpdesk/ desktop support as I know it is a great place to start.

    With entry level in mind what would be a good place to start for certification? After researching jobs most level 1 desktop techs ask for knowledge in xp/7, office and/or server 2008, basic networking, installation etc.

    Just not sure the best way to go about it. I did find a course online that offers a package but to be honest with the help of some books I could teach myself.

    Thanks for any help.

    Edit: Decided to add the link to the package deal... I know I can teach myself but it does set up testing and does supply all the learning material. Not sure what is the best way to go about it.


    • Edited by JimmyStarr Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:27 AM
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:10 AM


  • Hi, Jimmy.

    Microsoft offers two (2) levels of certifications. They offer MTA exams for students just out of school or for those who are new to working in the field and are new to certifications. They also offer MCSA/MCSE certifications for working professionals. The MTA certifications have less value in the employment marketplace than MCSA/MCSE certifications. You can pursue an MTA certification if you'd like or jump right to the MCSA/MCSE titles.

    You can learn more about the MTA Infrastructure titles here: https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mta-certification.aspx

    Alternately, you may want to pursue an MCSA certification for Windows 7 or Windows 8. The newer the OS version, the longer your title will hold value in the marketplace.

    Here are the two MCSA titles:

    When you open either of these links, they will tell you exactly which exams you need to pass to earn the certifications.

    These MCSA titles are what are used by desktop support specialists.

    After earning your MCSA, you can decide if you'd like to pursue an MCSE.

    Good luck!

    Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:15 PM