Is WHS on HP's EX 485 Media Smart Server different than Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Home Server software on an Hewlett Packard EX-485 Media Smart Server. I am confused as to whether there is two different version of Windows Home Server software. Also the HP Media Smart Server came equipped with the Windows Home Server software and McAfee antivirus protection. McAfee will discontinue support of this software effective 9/19?11. I have been looking for a different antivirus add-in. There is a product tilled Avast Windows Home Server Edition but because I am confused as to which Windows Home Server software I have I am unsure if the Avast product is what I need. Can you clear up my confusion.
    Nick Dalba
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:48 PM

All replies

• Yes, they are different versions. HP used Windows Home Server V1, as released in 2007 and updated several times by Microsoft since then.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Yes it is. What you have is a 32-bit server built on Windows Server 2003 code. WHS 2011 is 64-bit, built on Windows Server 2008 Release 2. Avast only (at this time) works with what you have.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi Phil: Thanks for the timely response. I susected as much but I was not sure and I could not seem to find any answer at the HP forums. Apparently, HP does no longer makes the Media Server. I guess it is going the way of other HP products like their new tablet. That is a shame. We have two touchsmart PC's that my wife and I use daily. If my Media Smart Server fails would you recommend taht I go to a PC running Windows Server 2011 as a new backup and media server?
    Nick 

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Hi Ken: Thanks for the response. Between you and Phil Harrison I know what to do next.

Nick

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hi Phil: Thanks for the timely response. I susected as much but I was not sure and I could not seem to find any answer at the HP forums. Apparently, HP does no longer makes the Media Server. I guess it is going the way of other HP products like their new tablet. That is a shame. We have two touchsmart PC's that my wife and I use daily. If my Media Smart Server fails would you recommend taht I go to a PC running Windows Server 2011 as a new backup and media server?
    Nick 

Nick

I made the transition to WHS2011 and it works fine. The only thing I would say is if you have a large media library (>2TB) then things get a little more complicated with regard to managing storage (no Drive Extender) and backup of the server and data which requires something different if you want to back up more than 2TB - read these forums for lots of discussion on that.

Phil

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Hi Phil:

At this time I do not have 2TB. However, I am coverting some home movies from film and video tape to digital format. This could take me beyond the 2TB range. When I get there I will certainly check the form for more information on drive extensions. When you converted to WHS 2011 did you use an off the shelf PC our did you purchase some kind of server?

Nick

Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Built my own based on an ASUS P8P67-M Pro motherboard, Intel Core i3-2100T (low power) CPU and 4GB RAM - works great.
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi Phil:

Your solution may be a little beyond me althought I did watch a video on "Explaining Computers. Com" that demonstated the construction of a very low power server. Based on what i have read about WHS 2011 I think I will stay with my EX485 media server and the WHS v.1 software. I understand that eeh software will be supported until 2013. Until then I will just check back from time to time to follow-up on server hardware and software developments.

Nick 

Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Nick

If it's working I see no compelling reason for you to change at this stage - you just need your AV Software sorting, which Avast should do for you.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:23 PM
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:23 PM