WHS not on network RRS feed

• Question

• WHS is installed, connector software installed, server attached to router (and respondes to unplugging & replugging), but router does not see it.  WHS does not appear on network and is not accessible.  What gives?

vanagoner

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:50 PM

Answers

• Please install your network drivers. Smile
    Monday, August 25, 2008 3:59 AM
  • Good news.  Ethernet driver found on internet, installed, server now on network. Connector software installed, now have access to server.  Thanks to you both, Ken and Olaf, for your help.  You found the problem!

Vanagoner

Monday, August 25, 2008 11:29 AM

All replies

• Your server was accessible on your network at one point; the connector software won't install on your home PCs if it can't find the server. Can you try simply connecting the server to a different port on the router?
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:00 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion.  I swapped two connectors to the router but there was no change.  I did not reboot.

On the server monitor I tried to connect to the internet, but a window said there was no connection.

I should have said this was a reinstallation following the near end of the 120-day trial.  WHS was working well before reinstallation, but with no changes in cable, router, or internet it could no longer connect to the network.

I found the troubleshooting section "What if one of my devices does not show on the network" and went through all the steps and they were all OK as is.

An idea:  should I reinstall the trial edition?

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:54 PM
  • One more bit of information.  When I reinstalled and was asked to type in the key code to activate the message following that was that the program could not connect to the internet, so call the following number and do it over the phone.  I did that and the app was activated.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:57 PM
  • If your server was on the network at one time, but isn't now, and you have changed none of the hardware it's connected to, then the issue is on the server. The first thing I'd like you to do is log in to your server, start a command prompt, and type ipconfig /all. Then paste the results here.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 2:16 AM
  • You're very logical.  Good!

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

Windows IP Configuration

(That's all I get.  I expected more, but that's it)

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:32 AM
  • Please install your network drivers. Smile
    Monday, August 25, 2008 3:59 AM
  • Thanks, Ken for your help.

I'm in unfamiliar territory, here, so pardon my ignorance.  By "install network drivers" I think you mean go to Device Manager on my main computer, click on network adapters, select my adapter, and search for an update.  That's what I did and the response was "software already installed."

Am I on the right track?

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:04 AM
  • You could also remove the network adapter in device manager and reinstall it.

If your system has multiple adapters, ensure, that the proper one is connected.

Does your router hand out IP addresses? If not, assign a fixed IP address in the same range as the client PCs have.

Can you ping that fixed address from the WHS itself?

From another machine?

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:42 AM
  • Thanks for your interest, Olaf.  (My ancestors are from Germany)

Ken was right.  I couldn't sleep, so with the realization that I had not checked the network drivers on the server I got up and checked the device driver on the server, and sure enough, the ethernet driver on the server was missing.  When WHS reinstalled it formatted the disk and that driver was erased.  Now I'm trying to locate the driver for the server machine.  More later.

Monday, August 25, 2008 10:49 AM
  • Good news.  Ethernet driver found on internet, installed, server now on network. Connector software installed, now have access to server.  Thanks to you both, Ken and Olaf, for your help.  You found the problem!

Vanagoner

Monday, August 25, 2008 11:29 AM
  • Olaf, the only time you will normally see ipconfig /all return absolutely nothing (see prior post by the OP) is when there is no network adapter detected at all.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 11:58 AM
  • or if the driver is faulty (which is the same from the systems point of view).

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:01 PM