Opinions on this hardware for WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HTPC that I built some time ago, and I am in the process of deciding if I should just "frankencomputer" it as a WHS instead. I have bought the OEM version of WHS, and I will be arriving on 6/17. The main parts of the current HTPC machine are:

Intel DG965WH MoBo
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86 Ghz Dual Core Processor
    2 GB of generic OEM DDR2 800 RAM
    Two 500GB WD SATA HD
    One 750GB Segate SATA HD
    One 250GB WD SATA HD

The only part I'm slightly concerned with is the motherboard. Intel has it locked down pretty tight and overclocking is out of the question. Is the processor I listed ok for a WHS? Would overclocking the CPU help performance? Compared to the HP servers, this processor looks like overkill.

The server's primary functions will be:

1) Home computer backup for at least 2 machines - probably more in the future.
    2) Streaming AVI and DivX files to media players around the house
    3) Storage of all my digital pictures so family members who live out of state can view them without the monthly task of uploading to Snapfish or Flickr.
    4) uTorrent downloads of my fav talk radio shows.

My home network is all gigabit capable. The motherboard does have 6 SATA ports and gigabit ethernet on it. It also had onboard video so I can "eBay" the video card currently in the HTPC or pass it on to other family members.

I also have a D-Link DSM-520 media player. Does WHS play nicely with this media player? I have read on this board the D-Link software does not need to be installed on WHS for the DSM-750 model to pull media off of WHS.

Also, since I'm the (so called) computer expert around my house, can anyone recommend any good books to configure WHS? I'm a little beyond the "for dummies" series. I would imagine I would also need some type of virus/security software installed as well. Recomendations? I use NOD32 on my other machines, but I have read it is not compatable with WHS.

Thanks,

Bryan
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:41 PM

All replies

• The processor is fine. Overclocking your server is neither needed nor recommended. None of the uses you describe are likely to stress your components.

I'll let others address your D-Link media player, but one of the other Windows Home Server MVPs, Andrew Edney, has written Windows Home Server User's Guide. There are a number of other books as well, just search on Amazon.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Seriously, people who overclock their processors are either careless or misinformed. Those who are careless care about the fastest possible performance for a gaming PC. That is not the application you are running here.

The misinformed have been duped by overclockers that overclocking the CPU is the only way to go if you want your computer to be fast. This is off-base. I have NEVER overclocked any CPU I ever owned. It is not supported, recommended and probably will significantly reduce the life of your CPU and/or motherboard.

BBalak wrote:

The only part I'm slightly concerned with is the motherboard. Intel has it locked down pretty tight and overclocking is out of the question. Is the processor I listed ok for a WHS? Would overclocking the CPU help performance? Compared to the HP servers, this processor looks like overkill.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:32 PM
  •  Whizard72 wrote:

Those who are careless care about the fastest possible performance for a gaming PC.

This is my primary background with computers I have built in the past. Sounds like the E6300 is fine for WHS as is.

Bryan

Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:38 PM
  •  

Trust me, you would be fine with a less capable processor as well for WHS. WHS is mostly I/O intensive so your money is well spent on I/O hardware (Fast SATA controllers, SCSI) and RAM as opposed to raw CPU power.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Ever heard of keeping one's mouth shut to avoid being thought a fool, or opening one's mouth and removing all doubt?  That's what you've done here.

You have absolutely no data to suggest that people who overclock their processors are careless or misinformed;  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you were trying to look like a moron.

You talking about the "misinformed" is like the blind leading the blind, as you yourself seem to be quite misinformed.  Overclocking has never been, nor will it ever me, a method to make your computer fast.   Will it make it faster?  Absolutely.

You have NEVER overclocked any CPU, probably more due to ignorance than anything.  It's like a man talking about birthing a baby, he has never done it, so how can he describe the process and it's pros & cons?

Lastly, overclocking does not significantly reduce the life of your CPU and/or motherboard.  You've just outdone yourself there.

Whizard72 wrote:

Seriously, people who overclock their processors are either careless or misinformed. Those who are careless care about the fastest possible performance for a gaming PC. That is not the application you are running here.

The misinformed have been duped by overclockers that overclocking the CPU is the only way to go if you want your computer to be fast. This is off-base. I have NEVER overclocked any CPU I ever owned. It is not supported, recommended and probably will significantly reduce the life of your CPU and/or motherboard.

BBalak wrote:

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Gentlemen, please keep your tempers and typing under control. And please read the forum's use policies, if you haven't already done so.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:39 PM