Problems booting winPE RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if theres a way to make a server install disk that uses the old version of winPE instead of 2.0?

The machine I use to test WHS will not boot winPE 2.0 and there is no BIOS update available (not even from the aftermarket guys) I'm hoping not to have to buy a new motherboard or barebones to continue testing

Rex

Friday, April 20, 2007 9:16 PM

All replies

• As far as I know, the answer is no, unless you're willing to try manually hacking something together (which I wouldn't recommend).

But how did you install the previous Beta 2 version of WHS? That used WinPE 2.0 as well.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Sorry I have not been able to reply to any messages for 4 days so I had to use another PC, Thats another problem to deal with later

Yes Ken, I misread the TCP release notes and misunderstood when WinPE 2.0 came in to play. Heres what it boils down to, With all the mention of burning with slower drive speeds and checking CRC values I did all this. I burned on 2 different drives and the DVD's would boot and install on 3 PC's but not on my target server even using the same DVD drives that were used to burn the ISO. both drives are DVD +/- R/RW

I retried the Beta2 DVD to verify that it would still boot and It worked fine. After getting the winPE question out of the way the only

thing I could find that was different was the TCP .ISO I had burned to +R media and the original beta2 had been been burned to -R

I re-burned to a -R disk an sure enough it booted and installed just fine...  This was not a drive compatibility or Media quality issue and most likely was BIOS related. I verified this by making a +R and a -R boot DVD with Nero and the +R just will not boot with any drive regardless of content. the -R did.

This should probably be moved to another existing thread to help people who have burn problems inspite of a verified CRC and appropriate burn speeds ETC..

Rex Geissinger

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:18 PM