SOMETHING NEW WE SEE RRS feed

• Question

•  

After completeing the Monthly Tuneup (as Set)  and updates in our OneCare circle...the report indicated everything satisfactory and all Microsoft Updates were in order.  All Green to go on all machines.  Later in the day, however,

the hub machine turned to Yellow indicating a software update was infact needed.  HMNN...what a difference an hour makes we thought.

Given due diligence to the situation ... went to Microsoft Update site...and ran scan!!!

TO FIND ..one Download needed installed!!!!!

GUESS WHAT WE GOT >

Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Microsoft Update

Been advised that this tool was now no longer in usage?

Since we have run and sold Microsoft Genuine Software for years, Why Again Now?

ANY ONE SEEN THIS ISSUE?

Friday, May 2, 2008 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hi, George. The WGA tool is still in use and was indeed just updated. Since OneCare checks for updates marked as critical and important available on WU, but not yet installed (or offered) via AU, when one gets posted outside of the normal cycle of monthly security updates, you can run into the yellow OneCare status.

-steve

Friday, May 2, 2008 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi, George. The WGA tool is still in use and was indeed just updated. Since OneCare checks for updates marked as critical and important available on WU, but not yet installed (or offered) via AU, when one gets posted outside of the normal cycle of monthly security updates, you can run into the yellow OneCare status.

-steve

Friday, May 2, 2008 5:10 PM
  • THANKS STEVE!  Thought it strange..but your advice seems valid.

Friday, May 2, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Why would anyone want to install Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)?  I had to pay $150.00 to downgrade to Win XP Pro SP2, so this machine could connect to my other machines.  I'm still rather put out.

Friday, May 16, 2008 3:12 AM
  •  Tulwar wrote:
    Why would anyone want to install Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)?  I had to pay $150.00 to downgrade to Win XP Pro SP2, so this machine could connect to my other machines.  I'm still rather put out.

It isn't so much that you *want* to install it, but currently, Microsoft requires it. I can't comment on the reason for the downgrade other than to say that I have 3 machines running Vista and several running XP. The Vista machines can readily connect to the XP machines and vice versa.

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:24 AM