none
Adding an external drive to Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using a WD My Book World Edition II 2TB external storage device, which I want to add to a Windows Home Server through the "Drive Extender".  The storage device is connected through Ethernet and I can successfully mount it in Windows Explorer. However, the device does not appear and cannot be added by uing the Windows Home Server Drive Extender. Are ethernet hard drives currently supported to be used with Windows Home Server? All the documentation that I have found so far states that external hard drives can be added via USB, Firewire, or eSATA, but nothing about ethernet-connected devices.

Thanks,
    Andrei
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:35 PM

Answers

• aandrei said:

Hi,

I am using a WD My Book World Edition II 2TB external storage device, which I want to add to a Windows Home Server through the "Drive Extender".  The storage device is connected through Ethernet and I can successfully mount it in Windows Explorer. However, the device does not appear and cannot be added by uing the Windows Home Server Drive Extender. Are ethernet hard drives currently supported to be used with Windows Home Server?  All the documentation that I have found so far states that external hard drives can be added via USB, Firewire, or eSATA, but nothing about ethernet-connected devices.

Thanks,
    Andrei

No.  Only the types you listed above.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by aandrei Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:10 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:47 PM