HP X510 WHS Intermittent Connection Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I need help in solving a new intermittent connection problem to my HP Data Vault X510 Windows Home Server.  I installed the X510 on December 26, 2010.  The installation went smooth and the system operated perfectly until January 28, 2012.  At this time, the automatic backups failed to execute and now the server can only be accessed for a short period of time (~ one hour) only after a system reboot (e.g. system reboot, system access, no system access, system reboot, system access, no system access, etc.).  Any help will be much appreciated.

To try to resolve the backup and connection problems, I did the following.

1. Performed a server recovery and ran updates until the system was completely up-to-date.
    2. Reinstalled the connector software from the X510 server on my laptop computer
    3. Added entries in both the laptop and X510 hosts files providing name and IP address
      information for the X510 and laptop computer.
    4. Checked my router’s reserve IP address entries for both the X510 and laptop
    5. Checked my router’s IP address port forwarding configurations to ensure ports 80, 443, 3389 and 4125 were configured for directing appropriate incoming port traffic
      to the X510.

When my laptop loses its connection to the X510, the following characteristics exist.

1. The Windows Home Server Console icon in the task bar is still blue.
    2. Using the Windows Home Server Console times out with the following message. “This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.”
    3. Using the Remote Desktop Connection times out with the following message.    “This computer can’t connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again.  If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.”
    4. Remote access to the X510 via the web is not available.
    5. The X510 responds to a ping (using both IP and host name) with 0 packets lost.
    6. My Netgear router lists the X510 as an attached device.
    7. All X510 lights on the front of the system are normal.

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:26 PM

All replies

• If I understand you correctly, you're able to connect for a while. If that's the case, have you tried to establish a remote desktop connection while you're able, then examine the contents of the server's event logs?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:13 PM
  • I'm getting the same exact problem. However my router will not show it as a connected device under the dchp table. Interesting it happened to both of us at similar times. I have to turn my off and on with the rear power button. My plan was to buy a 4tb drive and backup the data. Then buy a synology box. Let me know if you find a solution.
    Friday, March 15, 2013 5:28 AM