Cannot activate XP RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried to reinstall XP, only to find that it will not activate. I tried internet and phone activation, getting the product key off the back of my dell. After googling around, I discovered that some dells have the wrong key printed on them, and that the real key could be found in the WINNT.SIF file on the CD. Unfortunatly, that key did not work either.
    After another hour or so of searching, I found this site: http://support.thetechguys.com/Layout.aspx?ID={11da02a0-a0e6-4c5e-8554-cf1915b5fc52}&CatID={b02d0877-e19f-4c83-9ff8-6a7c85f83d0c}

On it, I was instructed to download the MGAdiag from microsoft nd paste the results here. I am pasting them now in hopes someone will be able to help :(
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 3g4CZGFEDgbKmn/oB4pa2FZsssU=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {EBEAA25A-AA2C-4BD3-B856-200B01197B52}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: Not Activated

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{EBEAA25A-AA2C-4BD3-B856-200B01197B52}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1229272821-1715567821-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Apple Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>iMac7,1</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Apple Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>    IM71.88Z.007A.B03.0803051705</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080305000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>A2153E2F0184207B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:55 AM

Answers

• Zarbon,

Thank you for the additional information. The problem you are experiencing is because your using a Dell OEM-SLP Windows to install via bootcamp to a Mac computer. OEM-SLP Windows versions are only to be installed on a given OEM manufactured computer and in this case it would be a Dell. You would need to have a retail or OEM System Builder version of Windows XP to install on your Mac. Mac bootcamp falls outside the support scope for WGA also. 

Take care Zarbon,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 29, 2009 4:53 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Zarbon,

Please post the unedited output of the mgadiag utility.

I have installed XP on many Dell systems using the Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD and not once have I been prompted to enter a Product Key.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Hello Zarbon

As Dan mentioned please re-run the MGA Diagnostic Tool then provide us with the unedited version.  Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or a different edition?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:58 PM
  • I'm not quite sure what you mean, What I pasted in my first post has not been edited in any way; I pressed "copy" and then pasted the output here.

As for the COA, there is one on the dell, but its for vista, since I opted for a downgrade when I bought it. (Vista buisness OEMAct)
    The XP cd is a blue/green disk that reads "Operating system". Underneath: Reinstallation CD, Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3

EDIT
    • I have installed XP on many Dell systems using the Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD and not once have I been prompted to enter a Product Key.
    Sorry, I should specify that I am trying to use this to install on my mac via bootcamp.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Zarbon,

Thank you for the additional information. The problem you are experiencing is because your using a Dell OEM-SLP Windows to install via bootcamp to a Mac computer. OEM-SLP Windows versions are only to be installed on a given OEM manufactured computer and in this case it would be a Dell. You would need to have a retail or OEM System Builder version of Windows XP to install on your Mac. Mac bootcamp falls outside the support scope for WGA also. 

Take care Zarbon,

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, May 29, 2009 4:53 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Really? I've installed a dell CD on a Vaio with no problems before...
    In any case, I suppose I'll have to. I have several copies of XP lying around, but they're all pre SP2, and apparently mac just dosen't have the incredible technology available to install SP1 :/
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Zarbon,

The Dell OEM SLP CD is licensed for the actual Dell model which it was pre-installed on @ the factor prior being shipped to you as the receiving customer. In turn I recommend for you to please read the End User Licensing Agreement "EULA". The same would be applied for Sony OEM SLP CD being solely licensed for the Viao. Let me provide you with more detail and hopefully this will help. 

1. OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XX119XX-XXXXX

1. OEM (System builder/COA): OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for Vista.  A major limitation is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized. To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

Systems must be activated within 30 days of installation. After a 30 day grace period, the user will be not able to login to system without activation.

PID format: XXXXX-OEM-XX119XX-XXXXX

1. Single Retail User LicenseRetail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer. Each Windows Vista installation has a unique product key associated with it.  System must be activated within 30 days of installation. After a 30 day grace period, the user will not be able to login to system without activation.

1. Volume License Key (VLK): The Volume license is type of license, where each VLK customer will be given a single product key and they can use this key to install Windows Vista on multiple computers. No Activation is required. Hardware requirements are not verified. 

Thank you Zarbon,

Stephen

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:09 PM