problem adding a drive, and removing another RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 3 disk system. Prmary drive is 250gb, IDE, 2nd drive is IDE, 500gb, 3rd drive is SATA 750 gb

I went to add a new SATA 1tb drive, installed it, added it to the drive pool, all is well so far

went to remove the 750gb drive, it took about 7 hours. When all was done, the 750 gb showed as unhealthy

I rebooted the compter in a normal fashion. Now, the 1tb drive shows as unhealthy. The 750 gb drive looks as though it is a normal system drive that is in use (Not removed, not unhealthy). I try and "repair" the unhelathy 1tb drive, but the process has repeatedly failed after about 20 minutes on each try

I rebooted several times, cannot seem to repair that 1tb drive. I went to REMOVE it, and was told that I will lose all of my backups, and some of my data. I have some data that is not duplicated, becasue previosly there was not enough space. All in all I have about 960gb of data

Now, The system is trying to repair that drive, amazingly, about 20 hours has passed, and it's still going. What seemd to be a very simple task is kinda of a horror

Any suggestions?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:17 PM

All replies

• Find a way of pulling any thing you need off your homeserver now! And onto PC I suspect you've losted or will lose your backups. I hope you have a spare USB drive somewhere or some free space on your PCs.

My guess is you'll need to restore to get a fully functioning system again.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:26 PM
  • I really have to question the quality of this server software. I was trying to simply add a new drive to the mix, and remove an old one, both of the drives are very new, I really should not have had a problem. Gotta wonder whether is is worth the effort.......

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:09 PM
  • you might want to try what i have suggested in another thread

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1964845&SiteID=50

interested in your results

good luck
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 12:43 PM
  • unfortunately, I could not access that link

Sunday, February 3, 2008 2:35 PM
  •  

sorry should have tried the link - if you cut and paste it into the address bar it works but not if you click on it for some reason

thread is call "cab not add drive" if thats easier to find

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:22 PM