IS IT POSSIBLE? Laptop on Company Domain using Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 computers at home and I expect they will join the Windows Home Server w/ no problem.  I have a question regarding my laptop that is joined to my company's domain.  Is it possible to use the WHS Connect CD to join it to my home's Windows Home Server so I could backup files, etc.?

Monday, August 20, 2007 10:09 PM

Answers

• That my not be necessary.  If your work laptop uses DHCP to get an IP address, all you will need to do is be able to do is

1. Connect to your home router (wired or wirelessly)

2 Have Administrator's rights on your laptop

3. Run the Connector CD once your linked to the home network.

You will not need to change any of your network configurations and the laptop should be able to access the WHS shares every time you start up at home.  I use WHS to backup my latop since the work backup procedures only handle files on the various servers.  If something goes terribly wrong, it may be handy to be able to recover the laptop system.  If you do use WHS to backup your laptop, connect to the router with an ethernet cable for the initial backup.  Otherwise it's likely to fail.  Subsequent backups can be done wirelessly.

Stephen

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:04 AM
  •  

Hi, all

Thank you very much for all valuable advices as well as suggestions. I finally figured out what was wrong. Here is the happy end.

We use Novell Client for Windows 4.90 SP2 and Windows logon is controlled under Novell Logon screen. By default even you check 'Workstation Only' check box when you logon, it still logon you to 'corporation domain'. When that happens, every time you try to access WHS, it requires Domain Controller for authentication although I can access other workstations in home network as well as networked printer.

In order to be able to access WHS, you will need to logon to Windows using local user credential. When logon, click 'Advanced' tab and change the logon group from 'corporate domain' to 'local'. After that, everything starts working perfect.

So the problem was not related with DNS. It was related with user credential. However, I still wish Windows can give clear instruction about what could be wrong.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes you can, you need to add ip within the whs subnet for your laptop, I mean here "Add", not change.

But some issue regarding company policy issue you need to recheck tho with your company.

If a matter of small files that you need to backup, best to use some sync software, like microsoft synctoy or something.

Again, you can as long you add the ip subnet for your lan/whs server to your laptop.

My best.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 10:40 PM
  • That my not be necessary.  If your work laptop uses DHCP to get an IP address, all you will need to do is be able to do is

1. Connect to your home router (wired or wirelessly)

2 Have Administrator's rights on your laptop

3. Run the Connector CD once your linked to the home network.

You will not need to change any of your network configurations and the laptop should be able to access the WHS shares every time you start up at home.  I use WHS to backup my latop since the work backup procedures only handle files on the various servers.  If something goes terribly wrong, it may be handy to be able to recover the laptop system.  If you do use WHS to backup your laptop, connect to the router with an ethernet cable for the initial backup.  Otherwise it's likely to fail.  Subsequent backups can be done wirelessly.

Stephen

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:04 AM
  •  

I pick this thread up because I can't access my home server after My laptop was added into company domain two days ago.  

I have used the Windows Home Server since it is released. Everything went fine. My laptop can access Shared Folder and the backup works great. My laptop uses DHCP for IP address.

Two days ago, MIS worked on my laptop and added it to company domain. Now, I still use the same username and password for log in to my laptop. However, today when I click 'Shared Folders on server' icon on laptop's desktop, a user logon screen is displayed. After I enter the user name and password for my laptop, I got following error message.

------------------------

Login Unsuccessful:

The user name you typed is the same as the user name you logged in with. That user name has already been tried. A domain controller can't be found to verify that user name.

------------------------

If I try to use other user name registered in Home Server, I got following error message,

------------------------

\\Server is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. COntact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

------------------------ 

By the way I am using Windows XP with service pack2.  I can still access server shared folder from other fours PCs at home.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!!!

Saturday, May 3, 2008 4:27 AM
  • Have you tried to run discovery.exe or reinstall the connector software?

Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Jeffrey, if your laptop is connected to your company's VPN, and your company uses a VPN client such as the one built in to Windows (or Cisco or Nortel among others), you may not be able to access local resources, including your home server, home printers, etc. It sounds like this may be your problem.
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:50 PM
  •  Enchanter wrote:

Have you tried to run discovery.exe or reinstall the connector software?

I have run discovery.exe and it can find the server after I typed in the server name. The symptom doesn't change. I haven't tried to reinstall the connector software yet. Should I?

Saturday, May 3, 2008 1:46 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Jeffrey, if your laptop is connected to your company's VPN, and your company uses a VPN client such as the one built in to Windows (or Cisco or Nortel among others), you may not be able to access local resources, including your home server, home printers, etc. It sounds like this may be your problem.

Ken, I don't use VPN in case I don't logon to company's network. At home I can use home printers which is in the same subnet as my laptop (192.168.0.xxx).  I use DHCP server built in to my router which is wired.

By the way, the automatic or manual backup from the home server works correctly. The only trouble I have now is that I can't access the shared folder of the home server.  

Saturday, May 3, 2008 1:49 PM
  • Okay, can you ping your server by name from the problem laptop? By IP address? You're probably having a name resolution issue of some sort; let's see if we can narrow it down.
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Okay, you're probably having a name resolution issue of some sort; let's see if we can narrow it down. Can you ping your server by name from the problem laptop? By IP address? What do the results of running IPCONFIG /all in a command prompt look like?

Saturday, May 3, 2008 2:10 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Okay, can you ping your server by name from the problem laptop? By IP address? You're probably having a name resolution issue of some sort; let's see if we can narrow it down.

Yes, I can ping my server by both server's ip address as well as its name 'server' from my laptop.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 2:10 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Okay, you're probably having a name resolution issue of some sort; let's see if we can narrow it down. Can you ping your server by name from the problem laptop? By IP address? What do the results of running IPCONFIG /all in a command prompt look like?

Here is the output of ipconfig/all command. Note that I am on the wireless now and wired Ethernet is not connected. The same symptom happens for both wired as well as wireless configuration

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dcc8071

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : corporate.datacard.com

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : corporate.datacard.com

hsd1.mn.comcast.net.

datacard.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.mn.comcast.net.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-28-7F-44

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.198

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 03, 2008 9:09:26 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 04, 2008 9:09:26 AM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-58-29-C0-51

Saturday, May 3, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Hmm. Your corporate IT department has made a number of changes to your TCP/IP configuration, some or all of which may be required for your environment. Your issue is probably a result of the "Windows IP configuration" section, where you're configured with a specific DNS suffix and DNS search list.

I advise you to consult with them as to the best way to deal with the situation. Probably it will be a simple change to TCP/IP configuration, but it's their laptop, and their network.
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 3:03 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Hmm. Your corporate IT department has made a number of changes to your TCP/IP configuration, some or all of which may be required for your environment. Your issue is probably a result of the "Windows IP configuration" section, where you're configured with a specific DNS suffix and DNS search list.

I advise you to consult with them as to the best way to deal with the situation. Probably it will be a simple change to TCP/IP configuration, but it's their laptop, and their network.

Thanks for the advise. I will contact MIS on Monday.

Now, do you have specific advice for the value of these fields? I am wondering whether our MIS stuff understand how they should change that. If you have specific advice like the values of these fields that will be appreciated. In addition, what is the value of these fields? I guess I can get it from other PCs at home.

Thanks anyway. I will update this thread for any results.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Jeffrey,

It looks like your work domain and home network use the same range of IP addresses (192.168.0.xxx).  This may be causing the name resolution issue Ken mentioned.  If possible, reconfigure your wireless router to use a different set of addresses (e.g., 192.168.33.xxx).  If any of your workstations or the WHS uses static IP addresses, you'll have to change those to match.  That may allow the laptop to connect to both networks and use the local resources.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 4:04 PM
  •  Stephen Land wrote:

Jeffrey,

It looks like your work domain and home network use the same range of IP addresses (192.168.0.xxx).  This may be causing the name resolution issue Ken mentioned.  If possible, reconfigure your wireless router to use a different set of addresses (e.g., 192.168.33.xxx).  If any of your workstations or the WHS uses static IP addresses, you'll have to change those to match.  That may allow the laptop to connect to both networks and use the local resources.

It doesn't seem to me that it is because of the name resolution because of below facts.

1) If I type \\server or \\192.168.0.126 (server's IP address), a user logon screen is displayed and I am not sure that screen is displayed by WHS or my local PC.

2) I can ping both server's ip address and use server's name. So the server's name is translated into its IP address correctly.

3) I remember that corporate Ip address is not 192.168.0.xxx and is 172.16.xxx.xxx although I can verify it later. (I can't logon to corporate network from where I am now).

4) WHS backup is working and discover.exe can find the server.

The error message I listed above in origina lquestion seems to me that Windows XP is trying to contact the domain server for authenticating the user before it reaches WHS. Since I am at home network and domain.corporate.com can not be reached. Isn't it odd?

I feel that this is some configuration in TCP/IP, but not the DNS. Will try to fins the answer.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 4:53 PM
  •  

Hi, all

Thank you very much for all valuable advices as well as suggestions. I finally figured out what was wrong. Here is the happy end.

We use Novell Client for Windows 4.90 SP2 and Windows logon is controlled under Novell Logon screen. By default even you check 'Workstation Only' check box when you logon, it still logon you to 'corporation domain'. When that happens, every time you try to access WHS, it requires Domain Controller for authentication although I can access other workstations in home network as well as networked printer.

In order to be able to access WHS, you will need to logon to Windows using local user credential. When logon, click 'Advanced' tab and change the logon group from 'corporate domain' to 'local'. After that, everything starts working perfect.

So the problem was not related with DNS. It was related with user credential. However, I still wish Windows can give clear instruction about what could be wrong.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 8:02 PM