Explorer.exe Doesn't Think I'm Running Genuine XP (When In Fact I Am) RRS feed

• Question

• I run Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 (now Service Pack 3), installed off an OEM disc that came with my last computer (and never got used).  The rig I have now was meant to be transition only.  I have used XP for 5 years now without a single freeze or crash.  Now, for some reason, explorer.exe will not let me change any folder view settings (eg display extensions, single/double click to open, etc.) and, in the Help menu, it says "Is this copy of Windows legal?"  I know it is, because the other day, I upgraded to DirectX 9c and the WGA checker said I had genuine Windows.

The MGADiag.exe dump follows.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23355
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {5E7DB855-55F9-4DB3-8B07-C718FB9BD2E6}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 120
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{5E7DB855-55F9-4DB3-8B07-C718FB9BD2E6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23355</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1606980848-152049171-1708537768</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Vectra</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies Ltd.</Manufacturer><Version>HZ.01.05US    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>19991008000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>33EE341F79840059</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>1</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Windows XP Pro</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>120</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>9775F927A475F14</Val><Hash>9MuUztJIKWH171ZU1wylyqsOv1w=</Hash><Pid>70145-OEM-5790653-30681</Pid><PidType>6</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 806F:Compaq Computer Corporation|14100:Compaq Computer Corporation|14100:Compaq Computer Corporation|806F:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, March 8, 2009 3:48 AM

Answers

• Hi CJ Miller,

WGA accomplishes two things:

1.  It alerts Windows users when they are using nongenuine software, both the Windows OS and the Office productivity software.  Posting in this forum for almost three years, it's my observation that at least half of those who were alerted that they were using nongenuine software did not know it.  Some of this group were outright victims of fraud when they purchased computers that were supposed to have genuine installations of Windows and/or Office but did not, or purchased what was being sold as genuine Windows and/or Office software when it was not.  Others were victims of ham-handed computer repair techs who in the course of repairing compters were installing nongenuine Windows over top of genuine installations.  In this regard, WGA alerts people that they were cheated, and serves to protect Microsoft from the loss of revenue caused by nongenuine software.  We're not talking a couple of thousand bucks here, we're talking billions of dollars:  http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/jul07/07-24CounterfeitingSyndicatePR.mspx

2.  By alerting people to nongenuine software, it has a net beneficial effect on the overall security level of the computing ecosystem.  Microsoft research has shown that almost 50% of noneguine software discs it has collected have rootkits, malware, remote control, and other malicious software embedded into the discs.  Each time WGA is successful in removing one of these infested nongenuine installations from a computer, it is advancing the "clean-up" of the internet by that much.

From my perspective, WGA is one of the best ideas ever.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:05 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:13 PM

All replies

•  CJ Miller,

Please have a look on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer.  Is it for XP Home, Pro, or Media Center?  And does the CoA have "HP" or "HPQ" printed on the second line under the product name?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 5:16 AM
  •  Hello CJ Miller,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing. We have seen numerous issues from customers who were provided a Volume License Key (VLK) on their computer that has either been blocked by Microsoft or generated by a fake product key code generator. WGA currently provides checks for these types of product keys and prompts the user to notify them of this situation. More invalid product keys are being identified daily and WGA is constantly refreshing its database with these newly identified product keys and immediately blocks them. 

As a rule, VL editions should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP is Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.  CJ if this is a corporate system please ask your systems administrator to logon to the eOpen site (
    https://eopen.microsoft.com/EN/default.asp) and confirm what your company’s assigned VLK.  I would recommend for you to file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy. Next please visit http://www.howtotell.com and compare your Windows Media Disc against the genuine and non-genuine versions at this Microsoft site. 

You have a couple options available. First you should have been given the option to "Get Genuine" when you failed the WGA validation. Here you may purchase a WGA Kit from Microsoft and become genuine. Next you can take the software back where you made the original purchase and either request a genuine copy of Windows or return your monies. Next option is contact HP/Compaq technical support and request them to send you a Recovery Media disc for your particular system model. Below are links for contacting HP/Compaq. Please note we are not responsible for the links because they are not Microsoft links.

Contact HP 

Worldwide

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Next I would recommend for you to file a piracy report by following the directions @
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy. Please locate "Reporting Piracy" in the upper left corner. 

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 9, 2009 8:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by CJ Miller Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:05 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 6:19 PM
  • My computer is an HP Vectra VLi from 1998, and it's my home computer (I'm 14 years old).  The XP disk came with my father's computer in 2004, which he purchased from a vendor (I forget whom) with no OS installed but with an XP install disk.  He never used the disk, opting to install Windows 2000 instead.  I have never had problems with my computer, running Windows 98 (three times), Windows 2000 (three times), Windows ME, and Red Hat Linux 7.2 before upgrading to Windows XP in 2007 and recently having to reinstall after a head crash that completely destroyed the last XP install.  I have no way to obtain another product key, as I have no idea of the vendor from whom my father obtained the install disk, and I do not have $99-$150 for a new copy of Windows XP nor the time to reinstall all my programs and restore backups over a USB 1.1 connection (over 85 gigabytes of data).
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Hello CJ Miller,

If you run the mgadiag report again, you will find that your installation of XP Pro is no longer Genuine.  Right after your original post on March 8, 2009, Microsoft blocked the Product Key that was used to install your Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro.

Given the circumstances you described regarding the source of the CD you used to install XP Pro, and the fact that it is a now blocked Volume Licensing installation, your HP Vectra VLi was never properly licensed to run XP Professional.  The CD that came with your father's computer, assuming it is the same CD and Product Key you used to install the current installaion of XP Pro, was a Volume Licensing CD (or bootleg copy thereof) and the Product Key was a stolen product key, which as I wrote was recently blocked by Microsoft.

Your HP Vectra is most likely still licensed to run whatever Windows OS it came with from HP.  It may be too old to have a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer (these were not affixed to the computer until late in the Windows 98SE era).  It is NOT licensed to run XP.

Please uninstall the nongenuine installation of Windows XP Pro, and install the Microsoft OS it came with from HP when new.  If you want to continue to use XP Pro, please purchase a WGA Kit from Microsoft by following the WGA Get Genuine prompts being displayed on the computer.

If your budget does not allow a Windows purchase at this time, you will probably want to resume the use of a free OS such as Linux.  I would have suggested running Windows 7 Beta as an alternative, but a computer as old as the Vectra most likely does not have enough horsepower to meet the minimum system requirements.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:34 PM
  • My uncle gave me the computer (then w/o an OS installed) for Christmas in 2002.

I would like to move to Linux, but I have never been able to get Wine to properly run my Windows programs.

Overall, THIS is why Windows Genuine Advantage is one of the worst ideas ever.  (The preceding statement is not an insult to Microsoft in general, only to WGA.)

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Hi CJ Miller,

WGA accomplishes two things:

1.  It alerts Windows users when they are using nongenuine software, both the Windows OS and the Office productivity software.  Posting in this forum for almost three years, it's my observation that at least half of those who were alerted that they were using nongenuine software did not know it.  Some of this group were outright victims of fraud when they purchased computers that were supposed to have genuine installations of Windows and/or Office but did not, or purchased what was being sold as genuine Windows and/or Office software when it was not.  Others were victims of ham-handed computer repair techs who in the course of repairing compters were installing nongenuine Windows over top of genuine installations.  In this regard, WGA alerts people that they were cheated, and serves to protect Microsoft from the loss of revenue caused by nongenuine software.  We're not talking a couple of thousand bucks here, we're talking billions of dollars:  http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/jul07/07-24CounterfeitingSyndicatePR.mspx

2.  By alerting people to nongenuine software, it has a net beneficial effect on the overall security level of the computing ecosystem.  Microsoft research has shown that almost 50% of noneguine software discs it has collected have rootkits, malware, remote control, and other malicious software embedded into the discs.  Each time WGA is successful in removing one of these infested nongenuine installations from a computer, it is advancing the "clean-up" of the internet by that much.

From my perspective, WGA is one of the best ideas ever.

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:05 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:13 PM
  • I would like to be able to run genuine Windows without having to pay for a new copy or a new computer.

My father spent $130 extra for XP and I want my money's worth.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:22 AM
  • CJ Miller,

Assuming the CD and Product Key that came with your father's computer in 2004 are the same ones that were used to install the nongenuine installation of Windows XP Pro now on your computer, IF the materials received are considered to be high-quality counterfeits, you may qualify for the WGA Complimentary Offer.

Please have a look at the CD that was sent with your father's computer in 2004.  Evaluate that CD with the guide provided at www.howtotell.com.  If the CD you have looks like one of the high quality counterfeits, please initiate a piracy report and a request to participate in the WGA complimentary offer by following the WGA prompts being displayed on your computer.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:24 AM