missing a system file. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Everytime i turn my pc on, there is a message that i'm missing a system file.

Please help me resolve this problem.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:10 PM

All replies

• Can you tell us exactly what the message says and what the system file is that you are missing?

Also, are you getting this message on your Windows Home Server computer or is it on another computer?

Andrew

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:57 PM
  • The message says - Windows cannot find     'c:windows\system32\netdllex.exe'.   It also says cannot run or load     'c:windows\system32\netdllex.exe'.

I'm  getting this message on my home Windows server.

Friday, October 19, 2007 9:49 PM
  • What version of WHS are you running?

That file is a component of a known trojan, CRYPTER.A. It sounds like you've had a virus infection which was incompletely cleaned up. If you've recently installed WHS, you might want to consider a fresh installation, abandoning all data currently on the server. That would be your safest option; the WHS DVD (or the downloaded .iso, assuming you're running a beta version and downloaded it from Connect) isn't going to be infected.

If this is actually a WHS client PC with the problem, then I would recommend you pop in the Rescue CD from whatever AV product you're using and see if it can finish the cleaning up of the infection. And I would then remove the PC from the WHS console and run a backup cleanup, to make certain that you don't have a backup of the infected PC.
    Friday, October 19, 2007 10:09 PM