Unable to manipulate pool values using wbemtest RRS feed

• Question

•    Hey, folks.  I'm unable to manipulate pool values.  Or maybe I am, and I'm doing it incorrectly... at any rate, I will go to one of the 2 front end servers and run wbemtest.  I will then connect to root\cimv2, then I click on enum values to get a listing of all the msft_sip values.  I will then open any of the values, and modify them.  I then save them, then reconnect using the (now fresh in my head) msft_sipaddressbooksetting or whatever and see that the changes that I have made are there.  If I go to the second server in the front end pool, however, those changes are NOT reflected.

Another symptom of (probably) the same problem is the fact that if I look at my backups (the exported pool settings), I see all the values correctly from my setup, I do not see those values in webmtest. 

Anyone know where I'm going wrong here?  I'm obviously not connecting to the right place or something of that nature.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

AcroyearUSMC
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:04 PM

Answers

• This is a common issue.  Wbemtest for obvious reasons wasn't designed with the best UI.  In any case, take a look at this post and see if it helps.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    • Marked as answer by AcroyearUSMC Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:38 PM

All replies

• This is a common issue.  Wbemtest for obvious reasons wasn't designed with the best UI.  In any case, take a look at this post and see if it helps.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    • Marked as answer by AcroyearUSMC Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:38 PM
  • I don't think the post you referred me to has anything to do with the problem at hand. 

The problem seems to be that I'm not successfully changing or saving anything to the pool or global settings when I'm manipulating attributes in wbemtest.   Please re-read the post above and ask for clarification if I've not posted my problem clearly enough.  I do appreciate any help offered.

Thank you!!

AcroyearUSMC
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Sorry, I should have expanded my answer a bit and highlighted the section to which I was referring.  This commonly happens in wbemtest because the user interface for changing values is not very good.  You have to find the value, open it, click instances, open the correct instance and then make the change.  When you have made the change you have to click Save Property followed by Save Object.  If you don't do it this way the change will not be saved.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Understood... and I'm sure that I'm doing that, but I'm not seeing those values on any other server.  I do, however see them when I re-open wbemtest on that server that I have saved them on.   Also, I am not able to see any of my global or server specific settings (as plainly seen as set and correct in my exported setting files). 
    AcroyearUSMC
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:17 PM
  • What setting(s) are you attempting to view/change?  When you open the Instances area of the desired value on wbemtest what do you see?  Is it the same on both front end servers?  Is this R1 or R2?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:23 PM
  • I am attempting to get rid of an error in LiveMeeting involving meeting content data.  Once uploaded, the other meeting attendees are unable to view the document / powerpoint, etc... so, I was trying to change the msft_sipdatamcucapabilitysetting.  The internalclientcontectdownlaodurl, specifically.

To do this, I have been going to run --> wbemtest --> connect --> namespace  = root\cimv2 --> enum classes --> click ok to get the list --> click on the msft_sipdatamcupcapabilitysetting --> then I scroll to the bottom and change the internalclientcontentdoawnloadurl, etc...

Once these are changed and saved, they stay there, but the values are not saved to the global settings, I don't think. I have entered the correct values from my exported pool settings (they are all <null> values to start with). 

AcroyearUSMC
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:03 PM
  • The actual error that I'm trying to fix is "Content failed to download due to a problem with the Conference Center configuration.  Contact your administrator"  When trying to share a document under "Content" --> "share" --> upload file.  All meeting attendees get that error on the main window of their screen.

I have checked the cert.
    AcroyearUSMC
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:34 PM
  • You didn't mention in your second to last post that you are opening the instances under msft_sipdatamcucapabilitysetting and navigating to the proper instance before changing internalclientcontentdownloadurl.  My earlier blog reference goes through this exact process step by step.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:49 PM
  • The steps in your blog and the steps that I've taken prior to posting here, and have outlined above seem to be the same, though, correct?  (With the obvious exception of the object.)  So, knowing that THAT particuliar process is getting me nowhere, any suggestions?

AcroyearUSMC
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Nothing else comes to mind in terms of the process if you are in fact modifying the WMI instance which corresponds to the backend SQL instance of your pool.  Definitely look through the event log to ensure there are no OCS or WMI errors.  I've used that process a number of times and never hit issues.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:24 PM
  • I think we'll be making a call to Premier Support today... these problems would make me pull my hair out if I had any!  :-)  Everyone has been saying "just do this", and I've done that prior to asking... done an inordinate amount of research and still have yet to find the answer.  I think the root of most of the problems may lie in the fact that this is basicly the 2nd rendition of our OCS deployment, with us being the 2nd team deploying.   We're using the same pool name with different server names (not my choice).  I'm thinking AD is a little horked up somehow... it almost seems as though we're connecting to the 1st deployment settings at times, or somehow there's skeletons in AD that are causing us grief.  Sigh... thanks for the read, Folks.  Any help is always appreciate. 
    AcroyearUSMC
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:27 PM
  • Time to eat to humble pie... sorry, Mike... I wasn't clicking on the instance.  Once I followed your post to the letter, I was able to get right where I needed to be.  Thanks, Man.
    AcroyearUSMC
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Cool - glad you got everything working!
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:00 PM