Network acts strange when connecting a WHS box....? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Could not find any references to this on the forums so here goes...

Existing home network comprises the following connections:-

ISP BB wireless - router - LAN (no DHCP) connected to -> LAN port 1 of a Billion 6404vp set as ATA mode (primary use) 3 lan ports in switch config (No WAN), LAN3 has the WHS machine connected, LAN2 connects to a LAN port of a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 wireless router using dd-wrt firmware (No WAN) wireless DHCP enabled for wireless laptops x.100-x.104 range.

as for the way this network has ended up, Don't Ask! let's just say it's legacy hardware before the all in one solutions that are available now. anyway all has worked well for the last two years.... unitil now.....

Problem summary:-

No access to local hardware configuration web pages or web sites after networking a WHS.

Detail:-

I assigned ip x.120 to the WHS and plugged it into the network (port 3 of the Billion LAN), configured 1 laptop(win7) and a mediacentre(win7) to the backups and all OK, I let the WHS network tool auto config the network for me here (maybe a mistake?) and found that I could now access the server remotely OK. However after a short while of it being on the network I noticed I could no longer log onto the Buffalo web config page, troubleshooter can see it's there but does not get a response, this then happened to the ISP wireless router web page, then I lost all network access to the ISP, i.e. ping any site and get resposes, trouble shooter can see sites but does not get a response.

Access internally does not seem to be affected, I can see all shares and other machines and access them where permitted.

If I remove the WHS server from the network (and reboot the routers) access is restored to internet and hardware config pages.

hav'nt put any sniffing s/w on the network yet but this ones had me scratching my head for the last few days....

Any thoughts on what's going on here would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:13 AM

Answers

• Would suggest disabling UPnP and manually forwarding ports. That would get rid of any effects that WHS would do to your network configuration
    • Marked as answer by mysticpete Thursday, March 4, 2010 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:37 PM

All replies

• Would suggest disabling UPnP and manually forwarding ports. That would get rid of any effects that WHS would do to your network configuration
    • Marked as answer by mysticpete Thursday, March 4, 2010 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Thanks Evaders99

Worked a treat.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 11:48 AM