Latest Security scare RRS feed

• Question

• hello

Regarding the recent security scare for which microsoft have now released an update to cure, my question is would OneCare find and cure any infection it might have caused.

peter
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:50 PM

Answers

• Hello Peter, the latest security advisory details a vulnerability  in Internet Explorer which would allow an attacker to access your computer. I don't think any antimalware application would protect from this type of attack. A patch for this vulnerability is available from Windows Update. For more information see this Microsoft Security Bulletin - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-078.mspx
    Jim
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:58 AM

All replies

• Hello Peter, the latest security advisory details a vulnerability  in Internet Explorer which would allow an attacker to access your computer. I don't think any antimalware application would protect from this type of attack. A patch for this vulnerability is available from Windows Update. For more information see this Microsoft Security Bulletin - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-078.mspx
    Jim
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:58 AM
  • To clarify, an Antimalware application doesn't directly protect vulnerabilities within the operating system or applications, it monitors incoming files from any source to determine if they contain known malware based on 'signatures', or commonly recognized segments of code which attempt to exploit known vulnerabilities or modify the operating system after infection. Since most malware that were re-designed to use this new vilnerability were already well known, yes OneCare will protect your PC.

The key concern now as Jim already mentioned is that you should intall the update found in the security bulletin when it is offered by Automatic Updates or even better go to Windows Update and intall it yourself. If you don't do this, then the next time a Onecare Tune-Up is run, it will detect the missing update and direct you to Windows Update to perform the required install.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:59 AM
  • Ok thanks guys, I understand what you are saying and i have of course installed the update.

I suppose what i'm trying to ask is how would i know if my computer has been compromised ?

Peter
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:46 AM