Can I use the same genuine XP disk on a new computer... RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys

I've got a new 2nd hand pc and have formatted the drive, I have a genuime xp installation disk with key that I've installed on my old pc.  Can I unactivate it on my old pc and activate it on my new one?

If anyone can help, that would be great.

Thanks

Peter

Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:37 PM

Answers

• Pedro74,

Is this a retail license for XP or an OEM license?

Retail would have come in a pretty retail box, and the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) would have been on the boxtop of the retail box.

OEM would have come preinstalled on the old computer, and the Certificate of Authenticity would have been affixed to the old computer's case.  Or you may have purchased a systembuilder/OEM license, which would have been a CD, a Certificate of Authenticity label, and a thin user pamphlet.  On the CoA, underneath the printing describing the edition of XP (for example, "Microsoft XP Professional 1-2 CPU"), the second line would read "OEM Product" or "OEM Software."

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Hi There

It's a retail license copy from a shop.  It came in the box with manual and COA.  I understand that it may not be allowed to use it on 2 machines as the same time, but is there a way to disable the old one?

Thanks for coming back....

All the best

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Pedro74,

Retail licenses are permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) to be moved from one computer to another.

In your case, simply uninstall XP from the old computer, install on the new computer, and then Activate the installation normally over the internet.  XP will prompt you to activate, just click OK when it asks.

The new activation will "take the place of" or "supercede" the old activation.

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Thank you very much Dan, that's brilliant news.  I'm off to uninstall!!

Cheers

Pete

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Pedro 74,

You're welcome!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Hi Dan

I wonder if you could help again.......I can't get my old pc to boot up, it's hard disk was on its way out, hence the transfer to a new pc.  I managed to get it started with the system disk, but I didn't have a choice (or didn't know of one) but to format the drive and install xp again.  I used the CoA as this is the pc that it's activated on and once it had gone thru it's installation process it went to a kind of desktop screen that was like a landscape view of a big red 'X' on the left of the screen.

Is this where windows has been de-activated? or have I done something wrong?????

thanks in advance

Pete

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Pedro74,

What you are describing has nothing to do with XP or activation.  I don't think I've ever heard of a big red X being displayed on the screen.

Maybe something to do with video drivers or video resolution?

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Hey Dan?  Can you ping me at sbradcpa@pacbell.net?  I have a private question.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:05 AM
  • Hi Dan

I've got my old pc working (At last!).  Could you let me know how to unistall the os?  I thought I'd be able to do it off the disk, but  there isn't an uninstall option? 

many many thanks

Pete

Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Pedro

You want to know how to uninstall the operating system? You can use the XP disk to install over it. Set the BIOS to boot from the CD Rom and turn off the computer then back on. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:17 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Thank for your reply. I'm try yo uninstall xp on my old pc so I can install it in my new one, rather than re-install it on the old one.  As the database needs to know that it's been uninstalled I presume it needs to be uninstalled with the router connected to transfer the information?

If you could let me knoe how to do this, that would be great..

many thanks

Peter

Saturday, June 23, 2007 11:05 AM
  • Pedro74,

I previously posted:

"In your case, simply uninstall XP from the old computer, install on the new computer, and then Activate the installation normally over the internet.  XP will prompt you to activate, just click OK when it asks.

The new activation will "take the place of" or "supercede" the old activation."

Perhaps some clarification might help........

With activation of a retail Product Key, the latest or most recent activation always trumps the last activation, and the activation servers only know what they are told.  So with your retail license for XP, the activation database will continue to think that your exact Product Key is still on your old computer until a new activation is submitted with the Product Key now "telling" the activation servers that it is on a different computer.  There is no "unactivation" process that tells the activation servers that a given Product Key has been removed and is now a "free agent" until it finds a home on a new computer.

Likewise, there is no real "uninstallation" process for uninstalling XP (unless the installation of XP was a retail upgrade from a previous OS and during that upgrade installation you chose to save the files needed to roll back to the previous installation).  In almost all cases you do an "uninstallation" of XP by "nuking it" from the hard disk by using a disk wiping utility, or by using fdisk or format or some other repartitioning and/or reformatting utility.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 8:30 PM
  • Hi Dan

Thanks for the explanation.  I thought I had to uninstall the old pc as when I put the key into the new pc, it told me that I had used it on another comp, so I thought the only way was to uninstall / install.

But!  I tried it again today, this time filling in the registration form as well as clicking activate and it's done it!  Thank you very much for getting me there, IE7 and the new media player are very cool!!!

Thanks again and good luck

Pete

Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Pete:

I'm glad that Dan and the WGA Forum folks helped you out and you got your new system running!

Just as an FYI - the Genuine XP disks that you purchase in-store are classified differently (Retail, OEM, etc). Each one only accepts a specifically related Product Key during each installation. So be sure to use the correct Key with the correct CD! Smile.

Again, thanks for the great feedback and follow-up. I'm glad our activation backend worked well for you!

-phil

Monday, June 25, 2007 11:59 PM

All replies

• Pedro74,

Is this a retail license for XP or an OEM license?

Retail would have come in a pretty retail box, and the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) would have been on the boxtop of the retail box.

OEM would have come preinstalled on the old computer, and the Certificate of Authenticity would have been affixed to the old computer's case.  Or you may have purchased a systembuilder/OEM license, which would have been a CD, a Certificate of Authenticity label, and a thin user pamphlet.  On the CoA, underneath the printing describing the edition of XP (for example, "Microsoft XP Professional 1-2 CPU"), the second line would read "OEM Product" or "OEM Software."

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Hi There

It's a retail license copy from a shop.  It came in the box with manual and COA.  I understand that it may not be allowed to use it on 2 machines as the same time, but is there a way to disable the old one?

Thanks for coming back....

All the best

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Pedro74,

Retail licenses are permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) to be moved from one computer to another.

In your case, simply uninstall XP from the old computer, install on the new computer, and then Activate the installation normally over the internet.  XP will prompt you to activate, just click OK when it asks.

The new activation will "take the place of" or "supercede" the old activation.

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Thank you very much Dan, that's brilliant news.  I'm off to uninstall!!

Cheers

Pete

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Pedro 74,

You're welcome!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Hi Dan

I wonder if you could help again.......I can't get my old pc to boot up, it's hard disk was on its way out, hence the transfer to a new pc.  I managed to get it started with the system disk, but I didn't have a choice (or didn't know of one) but to format the drive and install xp again.  I used the CoA as this is the pc that it's activated on and once it had gone thru it's installation process it went to a kind of desktop screen that was like a landscape view of a big red 'X' on the left of the screen.

Is this where windows has been de-activated? or have I done something wrong?????

thanks in advance

Pete

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Pedro74,

What you are describing has nothing to do with XP or activation.  I don't think I've ever heard of a big red X being displayed on the screen.

Maybe something to do with video drivers or video resolution?

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Hey Dan?  Can you ping me at sbradcpa@pacbell.net?  I have a private question.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:05 AM
  • Hi Dan

I've got my old pc working (At last!).  Could you let me know how to unistall the os?  I thought I'd be able to do it off the disk, but  there isn't an uninstall option? 

many many thanks

Pete

Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Pedro

You want to know how to uninstall the operating system? You can use the XP disk to install over it. Set the BIOS to boot from the CD Rom and turn off the computer then back on. 

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:17 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Thank for your reply. I'm try yo uninstall xp on my old pc so I can install it in my new one, rather than re-install it on the old one.  As the database needs to know that it's been uninstalled I presume it needs to be uninstalled with the router connected to transfer the information?

If you could let me knoe how to do this, that would be great..

many thanks

Peter

Saturday, June 23, 2007 11:05 AM
  • Pedro74,

I previously posted:

"In your case, simply uninstall XP from the old computer, install on the new computer, and then Activate the installation normally over the internet.  XP will prompt you to activate, just click OK when it asks.

The new activation will "take the place of" or "supercede" the old activation."

Perhaps some clarification might help........

With activation of a retail Product Key, the latest or most recent activation always trumps the last activation, and the activation servers only know what they are told.  So with your retail license for XP, the activation database will continue to think that your exact Product Key is still on your old computer until a new activation is submitted with the Product Key now "telling" the activation servers that it is on a different computer.  There is no "unactivation" process that tells the activation servers that a given Product Key has been removed and is now a "free agent" until it finds a home on a new computer.

Likewise, there is no real "uninstallation" process for uninstalling XP (unless the installation of XP was a retail upgrade from a previous OS and during that upgrade installation you chose to save the files needed to roll back to the previous installation).  In almost all cases you do an "uninstallation" of XP by "nuking it" from the hard disk by using a disk wiping utility, or by using fdisk or format or some other repartitioning and/or reformatting utility.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 8:30 PM
  • Hi Dan

Thanks for the explanation.  I thought I had to uninstall the old pc as when I put the key into the new pc, it told me that I had used it on another comp, so I thought the only way was to uninstall / install.

But!  I tried it again today, this time filling in the registration form as well as clicking activate and it's done it!  Thank you very much for getting me there, IE7 and the new media player are very cool!!!

Thanks again and good luck

Pete

Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Pete:

I'm glad that Dan and the WGA Forum folks helped you out and you got your new system running!

Just as an FYI - the Genuine XP disks that you purchase in-store are classified differently (Retail, OEM, etc). Each one only accepts a specifically related Product Key during each installation. So be sure to use the correct Key with the correct CD! Smile.

Again, thanks for the great feedback and follow-up. I'm glad our activation backend worked well for you!

-phil

Monday, June 25, 2007 11:59 PM