Outbound E-mail from CRM 4.0 web client - How to get MultiPart content type RRS feed

• Question

• We recently upgraded to CRM 4.0.  We have deployed outbound profile to our SMTP Server (on Exchange 2007). 

I sent an e-mail from CRM 4.0 to my yahoo account.  I then opened the e-mail and checked the full-header and noticed that it was not multi-part.  Instead, it shows the following.

content-type: text/html; charset = "utf-8"
    content-transfer-endcoding: base64

one of our staff runs a test e-mail through spamassassin, and e-mails from CRM 4.0 are now getting lower scores, and according to the marketing staff person, it is because it is not multipart.  Additionally, spamassissin is reporting some errors (BAD_ENC_HEADER).

An e-mail sent days before the upgrade, shows the following items in the header, just after the subject: Date:, Message-ID: and MIME-Version:

content-type = multipart/aternative;
    boundary='----=_NextPart_000_0025_01c998B0.D54EB120"
    x-mailer: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
    content-class: urn: content-classes:message
    Importance: normal
    Priority: normal
    x-MimeOLE: Produced by Microsoft MimeOLE v6.00.3790.4325

Neither of these show up in the recent outbound e-mail headers.

Instead, the new e-mail headers show up as

MIME-Version: 1.0 (Same as before)
    Subject:  (wrapped with ?us-ascii?Q? Subject Text Token..?=)
    content-type: text/html; charset="utf-8"
    content-transfer-encoding: base64
    Message-ID:...

I did some research and noticed that Exchange 2007 did not come with (older COM API's), because they would have been replaced by the new Exchange Web Services. 

The question is this, can the CRM 4.0 (outbound, using SMTP on Exchange 2007) send multipart messages Out-of-the-box, or is it possible that our previous deployment (CRM 3.0) had some sort of Add-On that submitted mutlipart messages to the SMTP server?

Also, if out-of-the-box functionality in CRM 3.0 was to send out e-mail as multipart/alternative (which I presume would have to be initiated when e-mail was submitted through the COM API), what is up with CRM 4.0?  My presumption is that since CRM 3.0 sent outbound e-mails directly through SMTP, it was using the Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 (which is no longer supported or leveraged?).   

Our marketing department prefers MultiPart/Alternative (Text/Plain, and Text/HTML content types; 7bit, and Quoted-Printable encoding). 

I am at a total loss and impasse.  Does Anyone have any insights?

Todd
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:05 PM

Answers

• There is no change in the format of e-mails from crm 3.0 to crm 4.0  Here are a couple of recommendations:

1.  for your marketing e-mails, use one of the other options.  See this recent blog post:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dynamicscrmonline/archive/2009/04/02/mass-email-options-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0.aspx
    for Marketing emails, the e-mail by mail merge option is nice because you can have more control over the look and the format of the e-mail.

2.  For non-bulk emails, use the Outlook client.  You can set the format to plain text if you want and just track the email.

3.  Some of the problems that you reference with spam assasin and other spam tools can stem from the tracking token.  Try turning off the token and see if it works better for you.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, April 13, 2009 5:45 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:22 AM

All replies

• There is no change in the format of e-mails from crm 3.0 to crm 4.0  Here are a couple of recommendations:

1.  for your marketing e-mails, use one of the other options.  See this recent blog post:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dynamicscrmonline/archive/2009/04/02/mass-email-options-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0.aspx
    for Marketing emails, the e-mail by mail merge option is nice because you can have more control over the look and the format of the e-mail.

2.  For non-bulk emails, use the Outlook client.  You can set the format to plain text if you want and just track the email.

3.  Some of the problems that you reference with spam assasin and other spam tools can stem from the tracking token.  Try turning off the token and see if it works better for you.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, April 13, 2009 5:45 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Hello Joel,

We have turned off the tracking token, particularly because it was not desirable for our marketing department.  If I am understanding you correctly, e-mails sent from CRM (outbound smtp) should already be multi-part alternative.  In this case, I would suspect that we would have to check our SMTP Server (on Exchange 2007).  Possibly it is altering the output to a different encoding.

Todd
    Monday, April 13, 2009 1:28 PM