Vail Preview connector software installs OK on 32-bit XP but not 64-bit Windows 7. RRS feed

• Question

• The WHS Vail Preview Refresh connector installs and works alright on a system running 32-bit Windows XP, but not on a system running 64-bit Windows 7.

The network is switched gigabit. The installer on the problematic system gets most of the way through (sees the WHS box, asks for the password) then fails reporting,

Connect a Computer to the Server

The installation is cancelled

The Windows Server Code Name “Vail” Connector has encountered an unexpected error. Click Close to undo most of the changes that are made to this computer.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

Odd, you can say that :-)
    Would be very interesting to know if anyone else out there experienced this behaviour?

Please report this to Connect?
    This will enable MS to look into this and maybe others to validate this as "I can too".

Thanks,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:01 PM

All replies

• Well, that's odd.

I tried it one more time. When I got the error message, I hit the red X in the upper right corner of the windows instead of the close button. Closing the window instead of hitting the Close button to undo the changes left the software installed and it works!

Paul

Saturday, November 13, 2010 3:11 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Odd, you can say that :-)
    Would be very interesting to know if anyone else out there experienced this behaviour?

Please report this to Connect?
    This will enable MS to look into this and maybe others to validate this as "I can too".

Thanks,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 8:01 PM
  • I did the same on client Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  I made sure to use the 64bit connector software version.  Had no problem.

Steve Lee

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:47 PM
  • I have had the same error and I am running the RC
    Friday, March 11, 2011 9:54 PM