WHS 2011 and Windows 7 Client Restore RRS feed

• Question

• Can not do a client restore to my Windows 7 Pro machine.

I download the new client restore software from MS.

It runs but what I get is an error message that sez WHS not found, check your Server to be sure it is on and is connected to the network.

It is on and connected and I can see the Server with all PCs when I have them on normally.

If I use the original Client Restore disc that came with the WHS program, it sees the Server but sez it can not format the drive, it is a 1 Gig Seagate  (probably just old and out of date).

The Server has an EFI BIOS and the Windows 7 is a normal BIOS

I also tried a client restore from my Windows 8 machine and it also sez it can not find the Server.

The LAN network card these machines have are all  the same and display in the Device Manager as Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller

Just for fun I did put the drivers on a USB stick anyway that I copied from the Server motherboard DVD.

This use to work with the last Client Restore disc I made which I can not find now, my Bad.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks Bob

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Regarding the current issue, I suggest we could try to refer to the following article to see if it could work.

How To: Restore a Client Computer Without Using the Client Restore Disk

http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/11/17/how-to-restore-a-client-computer-without-using-the-client-restore-disk/

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Bob Millard Sunday, September 8, 2013 10:15 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2013 11:02 AM
  • Andy

Thanks for the reply.

I will give this a try in a day or so and let you know how it worked out.

Bob

Friday, September 6, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Andy

First thank you  for your help.

This method works, but is a real pain to implement and certainly not what I expected from WHS and Microsoft.

I tested the V1 WHS and moved over to 2011 with high hopes.

I even have a couple of customers who are still on V1 because I told them how great a backup solution it would be.

I basically use WHS as a backup device for my 5 other computers and while it has worked pretty good, this experience leaves me very cold.

You were the only person to assist me and I  see that there are many cries for help that have gone unanswered over the past months.

Anyway, not to bore you, I am scraping WHS as it is very apparent the MS does not give a rats ... about the people who sunk money into their great new product that was touted as the new, great, poor mans server.  Instead they now want us to spend big bucks for the SBS product which is a giant overkill and certainly not what we signed on for.

Again thanks.

Bob

Computer Clinik LLC

• Edited by Bob Millard Sunday, September 8, 2013 10:19 PM
    Sunday, September 8, 2013 10:15 PM