Money 1998 to sunset RRS feed

• Question

• Money 1998 has ALL my financial data from 1997 thru today in it. Seriously all of it!

I had it installed on my 5 year old pc until July, and every other computer since 1998 has worked fine.

I switched to a new pc in July 2016 w/ windows 10 and installed Money98 (yes, I still have the original CD).

It worked fine for a while, then for some reason, the file menus stopped working. Every time I clicked on a menu/dropdown, it froze/seized and would have to be killed to work again. 

I thought I was smart enough to uninstall, the reinstall. Unfortunately, after reinstalling the menus/dropdowns still don't work, so I couldn't reach the option to re-import my up-to-date .mny files.

PLEASE HELP!

I've downloaded and installed the MoneySunset version on my new pc, and exported my .mny files off of Money98 off of another pc to .qif and .txt.

Still MoneySunset won't import with all the account detail, such as categories, splits, etc.

I am unemployed and cannot afford to pay for any or all of these various utilities I see online, nor am I that computer savvy. Money (I don't care which version) is critical to me maintaining my budget and resources until I find another job, especially since it has my ENTIRE financial history in it. 

ANY IDEAS? CAN ANYONE HELP ME???

Thursday, December 15, 2016 5:55 AM

Answers

• thank you THANK you thank YOU THANK YOU!

The "run ad administrator" made all the difference. both when installing and when running the first time, everything else went through smoothly when that happened.

You saved my arse! Muchas gracias!

Saturday, December 17, 2016 12:05 AM

All replies

• I presume your file is a US file.

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6b7ffb67-58df-460f-8fd3-26ba17ca1e54/money-2004-trial-download-on-waybackmachineorg?forum=money

Download m12usweb.exe to the new computer.

MD5 is 1c62413858e2184eb39862f1b2afba44

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/913108

Put the latest *.mny and *.mbf files into the Documents folder of the new computer.

Temporarily uninstall Sunset.

Disconnect from the Internet. This may not be needed, but it might be.

Set the computer date to 2004/1/1 (or there about).

Install trial Money 2004 by running  m12usweb.exe

Let that convert your *.mny file. Check that it seems to work. Save the converted file. Maybe change the name so that you can distinguish the converted file. Close Money 2004.

Set the date right. Install Money Plus Sunset. Let it uninstall Money 2004. Let Sunset convert the Money 2004 *.mbf file to Sunset.

Keep extra copies onto other media.

This is not a step by step procedure. If you get stuck somewhere, let us know what happened.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 6:28 AM
  • Downloaded m12usweb.exe.
    Put the latest .mny file in My Documents.
    Uninstalled MoneySunset.
    Changed date to 1/1/2004.

Was installing Money2004, and received an "installation failed" error, but it looked like it proceeded.

Setup.exe asked for permission from me to proceed. I granted it.
    One more dialog box popped up..."if you need to install or repair this version of Microsoft Money 2004 in the future, run setup again from the original program file downloaded from the Web. If you no longer have this file, you will need to download it again."

I've gone thru the reinstall procedure as prompted.

When opening Money2004, received a "Money is not properly installed. Please try setup again" error. Then windows gave a "Microsoft money has stopped working. close program" dialog box, and the only option is to close. 

Any other ideas?

Friday, December 16, 2016 8:48 PM
  • Any other ideas?

Ideas:

You might try installing again, but right click on m12usweb.exe and choose Run As Administrator.

You could try opening Money by right-clicking on the launch icon, and  choosing Run As Administrator.

Try File->Restore using your newest or second-newest *.mbf. (mbf is Money Backup File) You can also start a restore by closing Money, and then opening Money by right-clicking in Windows Explorer/File Explorer, and choosing open. When restoring, always Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a name for the file. You can leave out the .mny part of the name; Money will add it.

Try making a level2  repaired version of the converted file.  In doing a level 2, I suggest giving each repair attempt a meaningful name. To do the repair, File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair can be done inside Money. That launches salv.exe which actually does the action. You can not do that repair on a backup file.

Another alternative is to try a repair on the original copy of your *.mny file. Then try converting that. Money 2004 will have left a copy as *.mn6 in your documents folder (presuming the *.mny file had been in the Documents folder).

• Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Saturday, December 17, 2016 4:11 PM replaced m12 reference with mn6
    Friday, December 16, 2016 9:08 PM
  • thank you THANK you thank YOU THANK YOU!

The "run ad administrator" made all the difference. both when installing and when running the first time, everything else went through smoothly when that happened.

You saved my arse! Muchas gracias!

Saturday, December 17, 2016 12:05 AM