Opening/Restoring .mbf file crashes Money RRS feed

• Question

• I am helping a family friend who has been using Money for many years on an old Vista laptop (I am unsure which version of Money and am unable to contact him at the moment). Recently Money crashed and all data from the end of 2018 onward seemingly disappeared. Money did create a backup file, but the program continuously crashes and creates more backups although the first backup is a bigger file than the rest.

I copied the first .mbf and attempted to open/restore it myself using Money Plus and Money 2005 UK. However every time I enter the password for the file the programs completely end without warning or an error code. Entering the wrong code gets Money to say incorrect, enter again. I also used a file archiver (IZarc) to look inside and I tried to open the .tmp file that was there, but it gets the same results as the backup. Repairing the .tmp file results in "Your file could not be repaired" and the log says "No broken records in the original file."

Do I just need to use the right version of money or is this file corrupter beyond hope?  Or is it something else completely I've missed. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: So he has been using Money 2001 which I'm assuming makes things more difficult (Also I am not a money user). All backup files that can be found only have data till 2018 at the latest, probably except for the one I had copied which also crashes money on his system as soon as it's opened and the password is entered. Looking at the event viewer, the version is 9.0.0.831, the faulting module is is msofd.dll, and the exception code is 0xc0000005. At this point I think this will be a harsh lesson for him in saving, backing up and updating regularly but any further help would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by averagej0e Wednesday, April 1, 2020 7:41 PM More info
    Wednesday, April 1, 2020 4:02 AM

All replies

• Assuming you and your friend are both in the UK you need the Money 2005 UK QFE package from the second, sticky post in this forum, not an install from an installation disk.

Your friend should be using a simple password, but might be using a Windows Live ID or a Microsoft Passport.

Money UK versions create only one backup file and overwrite it each time. If your friend has no old system or data backups and the latest Money data is lost from the .mny data file it will not be recoverable.

If you cannot open the file you can try repairing it with salv.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles.

I think the most likely cause of the problem is that the hard disk on the old Vista laptop is failing. Your friend needs a new laptop before he or she loses all their data.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 10:48 AM
  • The repair tool salv.exe only work on a *.mny file, and not a *.mbf file. The standard file repair in Money invokes salv.exe.

The system where an automatic backup overwrites a potentially good backup has a problem.  Money 2005 and several years before have a scheduled backup that can be set up. Maybe a backup was made onto a usb flash drive or into some other folder on the hard drive?  Search the hard drive and USB drives for *.mbf and *.mny.

In a command window, try this command on the friend's computer:

dir \*.mbf \*.mny /s

It can take some time. It will find sample.mny, but that is only a sample file that comes with the installation. There is a space before the two backslashes and the forward slash.

Alternatively, consider this in a command window:

dir \*.mbf \*.mny /s>temp1.txt

Then have the friend send you the temp1.txt file for your analysis.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 4:00 PM