Primary drive out of space RRS feed

• Question

• Here's something interesting. I used fastcopy (http://www.ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en) to copy 150GB of files from an internal drive that isn't part of the main storage pool (my V drive) to the Videos share in the main storage pool. I did this over an RD session to my WHS.

Someone mentioned fastcopy on another thread as being much faster than using Explorer to copy files, and indeed it is. I got 40-45 MB/s, which is at least twice as fast than using Explorer.

My set up is as follows:

System drive 320GB
    1x320GB and 3x200GB drives in the extended storage pool

Anyhow, using this method has rendered my D drive with 0% space left. The copy process aborted as it ran out of space. However, if I look in Disk Management, I see that the 320GB and one of the 200GB disks is totally empty. So it seems that using Fastcopy somehow bypasses the drive extender process and dumps all the files directly on the primary disk. If I use Explorer to do the same file copy, I can see that the files get immediately copied to one of the other disks.

Will DEMigrator copy the files off the D drive at some point, and free up space? Maybe there is not much point in using fastcopy, as the speed gained in copying files is negated by the fact the files have to be moved off the system drive afterwards.

I should add that using fastcopy to copy files over the network shows no speed increases - I get a rather pedestrian 7MB/s over the LAN.

Thanks,
    Wurz

Sunday, August 19, 2007 9:50 PM

Answers

• Well, sometimes when I copy files over it doesn't migrate them right away either.  I guess the best thing would be just to wait a little time and see if the files copied through Fastcopy get migrated eventually...

Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:46 PM

All replies

• Did you copy your files to \\[servername]\videos or to D:\shares\videos?

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:54 PM
  • D:\shares\videos as I was on an RD session.

I did the same test using Explorer and fastcopy. With Explorer, DE works its 'magic'. With fastcopy, DE is bypassed.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:58 PM
  • I was under the impression that copying files to that location would not work anyway (although I never tried it).  Did you try copying to \\[servername]\videos during your RD session?  (It might still go faster than through the network since you would only be using the loopback adapter.)

Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:03 PM
  • Just tried the \\servername\videos option and it's actually slower. 10MB/s for Explorer and 20MB/s for Fastcopy.

But the point is that Fastcopy is still dumping the files directly on D. When I use Explorer they are getting copied to

C:\fs\9\DE\shares\Videos

ie DE is doing what it's supposed to and keeping the primary drive freed up. I'm just curious why Fastcopy bypasses DE - it certainly explains the faster transfer speeds.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:28 PM
  • Well, sometimes when I copy files over it doesn't migrate them right away either.  I guess the best thing would be just to wait a little time and see if the files copied through Fastcopy get migrated eventually...

Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:46 PM
  • Confirmed. DE did its stuff overnight and now my primary drive is 99% free.

So another reason to have your primary drive as large as possible.

Thanks for replying!

Wurz
    Monday, August 20, 2007 9:07 AM