Vista Validation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm slightly annoyed to say I have the same problem as this man, here.

I attempted to run the Diagnostics tool, only to have it crash every time.

I attempted to do this with my Vista installation disc in the drive, no dice.

So, yeah. Two birds need to be killed with one stone, here.
    • Split by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:23 PM splitting post....Stephen
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:10 AM

Answers

• Krinen,

Please create a support request at the following link below:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 . Unfortunately I am not sure what may be causing the problem.  

Thank you Krinen

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:32 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Krinen,

Thank you for posting with us today. We split your post off so we may focus on your problem one to one. Curious are you trying to run the MGA Diagnostic Tool with Vista loaded in your CD Rom? If so please take Vista out and run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and see if it crashes. Are you receiving any error codes or messaging whatsoever when your computer crashes after attempting to run the MGA Tool? 

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Hello, Stephen.

I have indeed attempted to run the MGA Diagnostic Tool with, and without my Vista disc in the drive. Still, no dice.

Although I would like to clarify; it is not my computer crashing, it is the tool itself. And no, there is no error message whatsoever.

UPDATE:

So I- through pure block-headed perseverance, got the tool to work.

However, I cannot copy the file for pasting here. I get the error: "Failed to create output files, hr=0x800706b5. Please contact support."
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Krinen,

Please try the manual download of WGA ActiveX and let us know how this works. 

Step 1: WGA Manual ActiveX Installation

Click the Start button, then Click Run

Type: iexplore http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204  then Click OK

You will be prompted to download “LegitCheckControl.cab”

Choose Open

Once this completes, a window will open showing two files. “LegitCheckControl.dll” and “LegitCheckControl.inf” Leave this window open for now.

Type: system32, then Click OK

(If you are running Windows XP, you may need to click Show Files to allow access to this system directory.)

Drag the “LegitCheckControl.dll” file from the window that was open into the “system32” directory folder. If you are prompted to overwrite a file, choose Yes, to overwrite any existing file. (If you are running Vista, you may be prompted to provide administrator permission to complete the action. If so, Press Continue, and allow it.)

Type “regsvr32 LegitCheckControl.dll”, and then click ‘OK’.

You should see a dialog saying “DllRegisterServer in LegitCheckControl.dll succeeded.”

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows Vista again. Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Evening, Stephen.

I have followed the methods you've recommended in the above post, to yet still no avail.

I'll see if I can get the tool to copy the file.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Wait a tic. The tool now reads my Windows as Genuine.

But- I'm still failing the Validation test.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:21 AM
  • Reboot twice and then try again... Can you run the MGA Diagnostic Tool yet?

Thank you,

Stephen
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:41 AM
  • If I let the tool sit for an unbearable amount of time, it does run, yes, but I cannot copy over the results, thanks to the error I mentioned above; "Failed to create output files, hr=0x800706b5. Please contact support."

I'll try the reboots now.

Double-Reboot did nothing to alleviate the problem.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Krinen,

Please create a support request at the following link below:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 . Unfortunately I am not sure what may be causing the problem.  

Thank you Krinen

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:32 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:31 PM