Problem with Log in at start up on XP RRS feed

• Question

•  

On one of my computers i am having a problem with the log in. When it gets to the ids and i click on one, the box opens to sign in but it takes a long time to be able to type a password in. I don't know if there was a virus that norton is not finding or if something else corrupted the log in file. Is there a place to redownload this file? I dont want to have to reformat as this computer did not come with a disc for that. Though it was bought brand new with XP installed.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 4:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can get expert Windows XP assistance by posting your Windows XP related question in the Windows XP newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Saturday, March 29, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Skyy,

Currently there are two possiblities which are causing your issues. First problem you do not have the XP Recovery Disc for the specific computer model/manufacturer. Please contact the manufacturer technical support and request the Recovery Disc. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. There may be a cost associated with this requisition. 

Next you may have maleware and/or virsus on your system. Unfortunately the best way for eradicating maleware and virsus infestions is to re-image your computer. There are other options available. Please visit http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm and research Microsoft's One Care Live solution. This suite will help detect and eradicate both maleware and viruses from your system. Programs run behind the scenes while you work to detect problems.  Also you can use a variations of programs used as a cocktail to help thwart situations. Here are some programs I use which have helped:  Super Anti-Spyware, Avast Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware 2007 and Microsoft's Windows Defender. Hopefully this information will point you in the right direction. Please note that I am not endorsing in anyway the programs but only letting you know what has worked for me :-).

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:59 AM