Windows vista production key doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I have reinstalled windows vista and my production key doesn't. I reinstalled it on my laptop which came with windows vista installed and I have the microsoft production key sticker. What is wrong and how do I fix it?

Vince

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:40 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Vince343653635,

"I have reinstalled windows vista and my production key doesn't."   I'm not sure if I fully understand. 

1) Did you use the Windows Restore media, that came with the laptop, to reinstall Vista?
    2) If not, what did you use to install Vista?
    3) When you install Vista, does it ask for a Product key during install?
    4) If so, when you enter the Product key (from the COA Sticker on the bottom of the laptop) does Vista accept the key?
    5) If so, once the install is done, are you able to activate Vista?

Also, would you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:44 PM