Server Backup: New hard drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

I wanted to try the new server backup feature in Power Pack 1 Beta, and so added a second hard drive, a new 500g drive.  I would like half of it to be in the normal storage pool, and the other half reserved for server backup.  I partitioned the new hard drive about 50% for each.

But when I use the Hard Drive Wizard in the WHS Console, it seems to want to use the entire hard drive for either server backup or to add to the normal storage pool.  Is there a way to get it to do what I want, using the two partions?

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:35 PM

Answers

• It looks like the server backup feature was designed for you to plug in an external drive, backup the server, then put the external drive away as a fail-safe.  Since the nature of the external drive, you wouldn't want to add it to the server pool.

Now it looks like you can attach a partitioned drive for server backup (one partition might be other files, and other for the server).

But when you go to add a drive to the pool, it reformats it, repartitions it, and shadows it to the D drive, so it really can't co-exist with another partiton (easily).

Since the server information is striped across all of your storage drives (as-it-were), having another partition as a server backup wouldn't help 'cause that drive failing would lose the whole server.  The only 'real' way to backup the server is a seperate drive that is not being striped.

Brad

Future WHS user
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:21 AM