Read Only Files After Uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• I have just uninstalled Synctoy 2.0 from a PC running Vista Home.  Before I ran the uninstall I deleted the pairing that I had set up.

I only had one folder in the pairing and when I opened some of the files they were still read-only.  I deleted the folder and then copied files in from a different computer that had not had SyncToy on it.  I copied them into a new folder that had the same name as the folder I had deleted.  My files are still read-only.

Any advice that you can offer on how I can resolve this will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Chris

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:14 PM

Answers

•  

As suggested - it wasn't Synctoy that caused the problem at all.  No matter what settings I used with NtBackup-RestoreUtility it was setting the read only flags.  It was just that I had started using both at the same time.

Cheers

Chris

Monday, October 6, 2008 6:50 PM

All replies

• I am guessing this has  nothing to do with SyncToy? It looks like Vista puts read-only attributes on files to protect them. I found this link -

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/33dc25dc-bd0a-4ac5-99f6-e6131c7d3ecc1033.mspx

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for taking the time to respond.

I followed the link.  For anyone reading who hasn't looked, the link provides details on how to remove the read-only attribute from a file using the likes of windows explorer.

Unfortunately, this does not resolve my problem.  If I look at the attributes of the affected files they do not show as read-only.  If I open the file, say a word file, in the title bar it shows Read-Only and acts like it.  I can add the tag and remove it in explorer of DOS and it makes no difference.  I can select the folder and try to remove the tag applying the change to all files also without effect.

I can even delete the folder and then copy back the folder/files to find the problem still exists.

I am pretty sure that the problem only arose after I installed SyncToy.  It's just occured to me though that if the problem is not to do with SyncToy it might have something to do with the way I copy the files on.  I started using NtBackup-RestoreUtility to copy the files from a backup file from an XP machine.  I'll check this out over the weekend and report back.

In the meantime I would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

Cheers

Chris

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:09 PM
  •  

As suggested - it wasn't Synctoy that caused the problem at all.  No matter what settings I used with NtBackup-RestoreUtility it was setting the read only flags.  It was just that I had started using both at the same time.

Cheers

Chris

Monday, October 6, 2008 6:50 PM