none
System Restore Points: Do They Save Group Policy Settings?

Question

• I'm not sure which forum to post this question to.  I hope somebody can help me here.

I have a stand-alone Windows 7 (embedded) PC. I create a system restore point, then I join a domain and various settings including group policies are pushed down to the PC.

If I restore the PC to that restore point, will everything done on the PC when it was part of the domain, including group policies, be restored back, as if I had never joined the domain?

I also changed the name of the PC before joining the domain (to conform to domain naming standards).  Would the name also be restored if I changed it after creating the restore point?

This last is less important.  Mainly need to know if all settings and group policy changes will be restored.

Thanks...

Ron Mittelman

• Moved by IoTGirl Monday, August 08, 2016 9:19 PM Not a Hardware question
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:22 PM

Answers

• Group policy settings are stored in the registry. A system restore point saves the registry. The system name is also stored in the registry. So, the answer to your question is yes, everything will be restored back to your joining the domain

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Monday, August 08, 2016 9:15 PM

All replies