Folder Sync RRS feed

• Question

• This may have already been posted somewhere and I was not able to find it but...

I was wondering if anyone was working on a way to keep folders synced on one system with a share folder on the WHS.  I would like to have my entire my docs synced with one of the shared folders on the WHS.  I know that sync toy can be used to perform this but an automated feature would be nice.  I still like to have my files on the actual computer I am working on. 

Also a quick question about about the core WHS services.

Does the system allow you to direct certain folders to be stored to a external drive?  I had always planned on having my photos and music be duplicated to the external drive so that I can quickly disconnect the drive and take it with me if I needed to. 

Thanks for the help!!!
    Monday, August 27, 2007 3:35 AM

Answers

• You have a variety of options for syncing files up to WHS. If you want an automated solution, it's easy enough to set up a scheduled task to run SyncToy (or robocopy, my preference) that you probably won't see a purpose-built tool that works fully automatically.

As for controlling what files are stored on which drive, no, WHS doesn't offer that capability; it uses internal algorithms to determine where to place files.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 4:01 AM

All replies

• You have a variety of options for syncing files up to WHS. If you want an automated solution, it's easy enough to set up a scheduled task to run SyncToy (or robocopy, my preference) that you probably won't see a purpose-built tool that works fully automatically.

As for controlling what files are stored on which drive, no, WHS doesn't offer that capability; it uses internal algorithms to determine where to place files.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 4:01 AM
  • Thanks for the response. 

I was not planning on adding the usb drive to the drive pool.  If that is the case would I still need to use a tool like sync toy to sync the files onto the external drive?  Or is it not possible to leave a drive outside of the WHS pool and use it like a conventional drive on a desktop?
    • Proposed as answer by Jasonmmairs Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:48 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2007 11:26 AM
  • If the drive isn't in the pool, then you can use it like any other drive. WHS won't have any control over it, and therefore won't use for anything. It'll be assigned a drive letter, and you can copy (from the shares) to it using your preferred method.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 11:45 AM
  • I've used foldershare for something similar.

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:07 PM