Workflow not populating Lead information (CRM 4.0) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workflow that is supposed to create a phone call to call a lead when the lead is created.

It's creating the phone call fine, but it's not populating the name of the lead at all.  It's just putting {Name(Lead)}  or  {First
    Name(Lead)} {Last Name(Lead)}. Depending on what I'm trying.

What am I missing here?  All the other variables are working fine in the Call and in the Lead.
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:03 PM

Answers

• To answer my own question, Don't use Internet Explorer 8 with CRM.

IE8 is stripping out the variable when I save the workflow.  I was able to test this as the site works fine in IE7 and IE6.

I have not figured out a security setting I can change to fix this yet, so the answer is Don't use Internet Explorer 8 with CRM.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 8:43 PM

All replies

• Can you post a screenshot of your workflow phone call create form?  Are you putting the lead in the name of the phone call, or are you relating it to the regarding field?

In your workflow design, when you set the properties of the lead form, click on the regarding field and with the form designer select Lead for entity and Lead for value.  That will link the created phone call to the lead.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:36 AM
  • Here is what the result looks like.  If I go back and look at the workflow, It looks like it's saving those variables in plain text.  That is really, really weird, because I'm using the Forms Assistant on the right-hand side to fill those out, not hand-typing.

See, here's the actual published workflow.  See how all the other Dynamic Values are working right?

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:55 PM
  • I notice how {Name(Lead)} is not highlighted in yellow--this would mean that it is not a data link, it is a text string.  Try this: 

1.  Unpublish your workflow

2.  Open back up the lead form properties from the workflow.

3.  Type in the subject line "Call " (without the quotes)

4.  Position you mouse in the subject field where you want the lead name to go.  using the form assistant select Look for Lead and select Lead Name.

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:14 PM
  • I did use the Form Assistant.  Many times.  It comes back as plain text, not highlighted, after I save it.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 6:20 PM
  • To answer my own question, Don't use Internet Explorer 8 with CRM.

IE8 is stripping out the variable when I save the workflow.  I was able to test this as the site works fine in IE7 and IE6.

I have not figured out a security setting I can change to fix this yet, so the answer is Don't use Internet Explorer 8 with CRM.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 8:43 PM
  • I can confirm this is NOT fixed in IE8 RTM.  Anyone have any insight?

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:11 PM
  • I can confirm this behaviour too. Regardless of IE localization. Compatibility mode and server site header manipolation won't fix this. Seems there are some changes in JScript engine?!
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Maybe this is helping guys @ MS:

The behaviour occurs not if you place the dynamic values without any surrounding text.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:13 PM
  • I've also noticed this issue... couple a bit foolish, but I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 RC1, which of course has IE8 and now all my workflows I recently updated don't contain any dynamic data.

Has there been any progress on this since the last post?

Dave C

Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Has there been any progress on this since the last post?

We installed Update Rollup 4 to all systems. On some systems the behaviour disappeared but on other systems it is still remaining...

Sebastian
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone has got a fix for this yet? I have the latest update rollup on CRM but in IE8 it still strips out the variable when creating a workflow.

Thanks Steve.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 8:17 PM
  • I have this problem, too.  Sure would appreciate a solution if anyone finds one!!
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Try installing, the newly released, Rollup 9. In this rollup some issues regarding IE8/workflows is taken care of.
    Henrik Jensen Instructor / Consultant MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MBSS, MBSP, MCT www.crmblog.dk (Danish only)
    Monday, February 15, 2010 4:54 PM
  • I am also facing the same issue. Solution would be appreciated.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:46 AM
  • I know I'm pretty late to this thread but I'm using IE 8.0.7600.16385 and I'm not experiencing this issue.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:59 PM