Unable to install Vail Home Server Connector - "unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application" RRS feed

• Question

• Installed Vail successfully, used IE on a client machine to install the connector. When the wizard gets to Verifying Components, a dialogue box immediately pops up with the error in the title of the post.

Vail - running under Hyper-V Server on LAN.

Client Machine - Windows 7 Ultimate, up-to-date updates, formerly running HMSRVR but uninstalled connector.  Client machine also joined to a domain....

Nothing in the client event log to speak of....

• Moved by kariya21Moderator Saturday, October 2, 2010 4:37 PM vail question (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 3:39 PM

Answers

• FYI, in case this should come up later when Vail is officially released, I found and corrected the problem.  .NET 4.0 was apparantly incorrectly installed.  The simple fix was to download and re-install the .net package, and everything worked fine.
    Larry Heimendinger TechEvents.com
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:09 PM

All replies

• Installed Vail successfully, used IE on a client machine to install the connector. When the wizard gets to Verifying Components, a dialogue box immediately pops up with the error in the title of the post.

Vail - running under Hyper-V Server on LAN.

Client Machine - Windows 7 Ultimate, up-to-date updates, formerly running HMSRVR but uninstalled connector.  Client machine also joined to a domain....

Nothing in the client event log to speak of....

You should file a bug report on Connect.
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 4:39 PM
  • I thought I was there... sorry
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 6:36 PM
  • I thought I was there... sorry
    No problem.  These are the Windows Home Server forums where you can ask questions about WHS/Vail.  You can file a bug report on the same minisite (Connect) where you downloaded the beta version of Vail from.
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 9:03 PM
  • already posted there... how do i remove this puppy?
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 9:28 PM
  • On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 21:28:07 +0000, LMHeimendinger wrote:

already posted there... how do i remove this puppy?

You can't and there's no real need to do so.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Sunday, October 3, 2010 5:50 AM
  • FYI, in case this should come up later when Vail is officially released, I found and corrected the problem.  .NET 4.0 was apparantly incorrectly installed.  The simple fix was to download and re-install the .net package, and everything worked fine.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:09 PM