Changing resource availability on a per-project basis RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

Using Project Server 2010, is there a way to change resource availability on a per-project basis? 

For example, I would like 20% of a resource’s time to be allocated to Project A, and 30% of his time allocated to Project B, while the rest of his time is used by his resource manager.  It seems that if I modify the resource’s availability in any given project and save the project to Project Server, it changes his global availability.  Any pointers would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Friday, February 5, 2010 6:30 PM

Answers

• Smearp:

There is no specific feature for this, but there is a very good workaround for handling this using both 2007 and 2010. A PM can only set the Max Units value in his/her session, however the PM can save the max unit values for the resource sheet into a custom field and copy them back to the Resource Sheet whenever needed.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    FAQs
    BLOG
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hello smearp

That's a great idea!  However, I don't know if that is available in this version.   There is a field called "Peak Units" that sets a allocation limit to assignment.  For example, if you set "Peak" to 25%, then maximum allocation for a task is 25%.

I hope that helps.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com

Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Smearp:

There is no specific feature for this, but there is a very good workaround for handling this using both 2007 and 2010. A PM can only set the Max Units value in his/her session, however the PM can save the max unit values for the resource sheet into a custom field and copy them back to the Resource Sheet whenever needed.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    FAQs
    BLOG
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:30 PM