MSN Money Stock Quotes in Excel Not Updating Symbol "MSFT" RRS feed

• General discussion

• About a week or so ago the symbol "MSFT" returns "#value" string  for all the information instead of the specified variables.  Anybody else have this problem with the symbol string.  All the other symbols are working as specified.
    Monday, September 17, 2012 5:42 PM

All replies

• http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/stock-price?Symbol=msft&ocid=qbeb works for me. I tried entering MSFT into http://moneycentral.msn.com/stock_portfolio and that works too. Maybe it was a transient problem. If the problem still exists, maybe you could try a different computer to see if it is an IE options setting problem.

Monday, September 17, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback, Cal.  My problem occurs in the MSN Money Stock Quotes update feature in MS Excel.  This is where the "#value!" string is being returned for a excel cell values like:

=MSNStockQuote(<SFT,"1","US")

All my other 100+ symbol strings are working properly like they have for the past 15 years. Just "MSFT" appears to not work properly for me.  Any clues?

Dean E. McKaig

Monday, September 17, 2012 6:40 PM
  • =MSNStockQuote(<SFT,"1","US") should have read =MSNStockQuote(MSFT,"1","US")

Dean E. McKaig

Monday, September 17, 2012 6:42 PM
  • I'm having the same trouble Dean, so it's not just you.  I've also gone ahead and contacted BATS Exchange since the pop-up window on updating says the tool uses BATS for real-time quotes.  Perhaps BATS is trying to send MSFT a message by blocking quotes to their stock?  I really want this fixed because it's annoying as anything to see #VALUE! all over my spreadsheets.  I may have to look for a competing tool if it doesn't get fixed.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 5:01 PM
  • @Rehcse - Happy to hear I am not the only one having issues with the MSFT symbol returning "#value!".  Because of this annoyance, I have started to convert my process to a .iqy query file update process to retrieve stock market information instead of the Excel MS Money Stock Quote add-on tool that I believe is no longer supported by MS. 

However, I am looking for help with the syntax associated with a .iqy query file to be able to retrieve additional or less data to the defaults provided.  Can anybody help me with this? 

Dean E. McKaig

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Not sure what you mean by retrieving more or less data than the defaults.

Here is an example of one of mine,

WEB
    http://www.iii.co.uk/factsheets/?type=detail&mex=MGOIAA

Selection=1,3,7,11
    Formatting=None
    PreFormattedTextToColumns=True
    ConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=True
    SingleBlockTextImport=False
    DisableDateRecognition=False
    DisableRedirections=False

The format of the first three lines are fixed as far as I know, with the third containing the URL.

The selection keyword tells excel which HTML tables to locate and pull data from. Data is placed

into cells in the order specified (in the above example, table one, followed by three etc.) and

you cannot alter the order in which the data is inserted. For example, if you wished table 7 to follow

table 1 it's no good just editing the .IGY and changing the oreder, it doesn't work (I've tried it). 

The big stumbling block with Excel Web queries is that they are really just screen scraping requests.

If ANY of the tables move around you're sunk, you pull in the wrong data. Also, if the website changes

the means by which they construct their web pages, you're also sunk.

• Edited by AshleyST Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:47 AM
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:46 AM
  • @AshleyST - What I was trying to say about more or less data is to be able to control, through the "Selection" parameter, what data fields you wanted to include or exclude for your query.  Is there a document that details/defines all the optional parameters in a .iqy query file?

Here is an example of the .iqy query file I am using:

WEB
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?symbol=$BRIC50D,$DJI,$DJU,$SPX,$VIX,/CHFUSD,/CNYUSD,/EURUSD,/GBPUSD,/MXNUSD,AA,AAMRQ,AAPL,AEP,AES,ALEX,AXP,BA,BAC,CAT,CHRW,CNP,CNW,COMPX,CRWG,CSCO,CSX,CVX,D,DAL,DD,DE,DELL,DHI ,DIS,DTV,DUK,ED,EIX,ESRX,EXC,EXPD,F,FDX,FE,FNM,FRE,GE,GE,GM,GMT,HD,HPQ,HPQ,IBM,IBM,INTC,INTC,JBHT,JBLU,JNJ,JPM,KBH,KFT,KNKT,KO,KR,KSU,LBYE,LEN,LSTR,LUV,MCD,MDC ,MMM,MRK,MSFT,MSFT,MT,MTH,MWV,NEE,NI,NSC,NVR ,OSG,PCG,PEG,PFE,PG,PHM,R,RTN,RYL,SIRI,SO,SPF ,T,T,TASR,TRV,UAL,UIS,UNP,UPS,UTX,VBIAX,VBTLX,VBTLX,VHDYX,VIMAX,VTIAX,VTSAX,VWNFX,VZ,WMB,WMT,XOM

Selection=1
    Formatting=All
    PreFormattedTextToColumns=True
    ConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne=True
    SingleBlockTextImport=False

This query returns specific information or each of the symbols url string.

Dean E. McKaig

Saturday, September 22, 2012 6:57 PM
  • I looked into this a few years ago but I don't remember any really good documentation .

You can search the Web yourself with keywords like "excel" and "IGY" or "web query" and gain

a few hints and tips.

From your query it looks like the Web Page has one large selectable table which you're pulling in. 

In my example, the triple i website (at the time) formatted their pages with individual HTML tables

and I needed to select four different tables to retrieve all the information. With a little trial and

error on a few sites you can easily see how the basic mechanism works.

As I said in my earlier post, problems occur when HTML tables are (re)moved or, in the case of

my query shown, the website changes format.

That particular web query no longer works at all due the the website no longer using HTML tables.

I eventually scrapped all my web queries except one set of asset allocation queries for my pension funds, which (fingers crossed) are on a provider whose website has remained in a similar

format for a number of years. Even there though, I only trigger them manually so I can check the correct fields have been retrieved.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 7:04 PM
  • @Dean - Got a reply back from BATS saying the problem was not on their end as they were providing the MSFT symbol correctly to all of their customers and that it "might be a problem with the MSN Money system, which is incredibly ironic".

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Also, I went ahead and supplemented the quote tool by using smart tags (once I figured out how to enable it in Excel 2010) and while not nearly as pretty as the plug in, it does work and do the job.  I'd much rather use a tool that functions the same as the plug-in though, but if you have a solid alternative, please do post the solution(s).
    Monday, September 24, 2012 6:03 PM
  • @Rehcse - The issue was not with providing the symbol, MSFT, correctly, but rather any datas returned for the symbol MSFT query .

Can anybody out there/here tell me specifically what condition(s) raise a "#value!" string that  populates an Excel cell when returned from an external data provider.

And, is anybody out there/here successfully getting values returned for symbol "MSFT" using the  MSN Money Central Stock Quotes system Excel Add-on executable.

Dean E. McKaig

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:48 PM
  • @Dean - I'm not sure what you perceive as the difference between providing the symbol and the data returned for the symbol query.  I would think that the data returned for the query would be the same as the data provided by BATS.  As a software developer myself, I know that's probably not the case (intermediate storage, memory location reference, etc).

I do find it highly suspect that the only symbol I've run into problems with is the MSFT symbol given all the software components are Microsoft built.  If BATS is serving the symbol data correctly to MSNMoney, then it must be on MSNMoney's end where the symbol is being turned to garbage.  Given that MSNMoney's site is working fine, I almost want to say this is a deliberate manipulation to get people to stop using the Excel stock quote plug in.  If that's true, it's highly unfortunate since there is no equal alternative out there in terms of simplicity.

Where is the Microsoft rep? How can this be reported to the proper Microsoft support personnel?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Just like Dean 1944, Ii am having the EXACT same problem with MSFT.  No matter what error checking I've done -- and I believe I've exhausted all attempts at a solution possible from my end -- nothing has worked.  I, too, must come to the conclusion reached by others and suspect it's at MSN MoneyCentral Stock Quotes. And, to beat an already decaying horse, I don't know of any good alternative.  Bah.... Yes, where is the MS rep when we need at the very least an explanation....
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:57 PM
  • TRYING TO KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS DYING/DEAD!  Does anybody out there know how we can get an official position from the folks at MicroSoft about the demise of their superior Excel add-on product for stock quote management.  Or, if we should start dumping our current applications and find an inferior product to support our needs. Just let us know instead of letting us spin our wheels.  Thanks!

Dean E. McKaig

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:03 PM
  • In May 2010, when Microsoft removed the ability to download the add-in, a support engineer was quoted as saying,

"The link has been removed as the addin has expired, There will be no more uploads for this addin on Microsoft.com"

You can read the full thread of disgruntled users here, 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/excel-add-in-for-msn-stock-quotes-no-longer/87bfdff9-fa5f-4996-9511-4a7ecd8a3076?page=1&tm=1349291050410

In other words, it's unsupported.

Microsoft along with many other vendors appear to going backwards now, removing useful function and making things worse

not better.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback AshleyST.  I hate it when successful apps become unsupported and simply die on the vine so to speak.  But, after over a decade of use, I guess it's time for me to re-engineer my process avoid the frustrations and data loss down the road.  So far, in my case, it looks like the .iqy file process will almost meet my requirements previously satisfied with the add-in for Excel.  Are there other tools out there I should consider?  And, it the .iqy file process here to stay for the long term?

Dean E. McKaig

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:43 PM
  • Yes you could use Web Queries, notwithstanding the restrictions I mentioned in an earlier post.

Perhaps you could consider using the built-in stock quote with Excel from the smart tag ? 

If you placed all your queries on one sheet, then you could then just extract the cell data required and format it

in your list/portfolio sheet. I do something similar with mine now, whereby, for my mutual/pension funds I download

a CSV file (once a week) into one sheet and then the data extracted from that sheet is placed into a nicely

formatted list in another.

Regarding applications becoming unsupported, the problem is that vendors these days treat unsupported as something different from years ago. Those of us of a certain vintage remember the time when unsupported just meant you couldn't raise new problems against the product nor get fixes. It did NOT mean the function would break down. However, vendors now seem to treat something as being unsupported as fair game to actually break

and thus forcing you onto something new. 

I face a similar (if not actually bigger) hurdle with Outlook. I have used the Journal function for years to provide a

CRM/Document Management facility. I have thousands of entries dating back many years (some for statutory legal/financial time frames). Since Outlook 2007, Microsoft have gradually removed features from the Journal and now in the upcoming release it's pretty much broken. They provide NO alternative and no means by which you can migrate the existing Journal data. Needless to say, I'm pretty annoyed but at least it means I've avoided paying for any more Office upgrades, as I have have had to remain

on Office 2003.

• Edited by AshleyST Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:34 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:29 AM
  • @AshleyST - I have read all the "how to's" and tried without success to use smart tags.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to make them work.  I am still running Excel 2003.  Any clues, tips or tricks to offer here? When I follow the instructions, no purple corner show up or the box I icon.  Must be something really simple and stupid on my end.  But, I want to give smart tags a shot before I go to the .iqy Web Query route and dump the  unsupported MSN Money dinosaur.

Dean E. McKaig

Sunday, October 7, 2012 1:54 PM
  • I'm assuming that you have ensured Smart Tags are enabled in the AutoCorrect options and that the Financial Symbols entry

is ticked in the Reconisers list. If so, I think the problem may be related to having the MSN Stock Quote Add-in installed.

I tried Smart tags on my systems where I had NEVER installed the Stock Quote Add-in and everything was fine.

I went to the system where I had recently installed it for testing related to this thread and Smart Tags didn't show up.

I uninstalled the Stock Quote Add-in and they still didn't show up.

I then restored the system back to how it was prior to installing the stock quote add-in and smart tags worked.

So make of that what you may. 

If you can get the Smart Tags to work you should be aware of the problem reported in this KB article :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289816

Using the method described in the following article I was able to add Smart Tags of my own,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa163627(v=office.10).aspx

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Well, guess what.  I checked today and the symbol MSFT is working again via the Stock Quote Add-in for all values.  I am no longer getting "#VALUE!" returned on the update.  GO FIGURE!!

@HarryID - Is your issue resolved too?  Check it out and let us know.

Somebody must have woke up and smelled the coffee behind the scenes.

Dean E. McKaig

Monday, October 8, 2012 1:51 PM
  • @AshleyST - Thank you so much for all your informative feedback and head ups.  You have been very helpful and given me a whole bunch of things to play with here.  I enjoy messing around with this stuff only to find out how truly ignorant I am once I venture beyond Excel and VB 101.

Dean E. McKaig

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Sounds like it wasn't a Microsoft quote conspiracy after all.

Hope it continues to work in the future.

Ashley.

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Further to this incredible mess with MicroSoft, Smart Tags now appear for most, but not all of the stock quote symbols contained on my spreadsheet process on top of having the Stock Quote Add-in working as well.  So much for your previous theory AshleyST.  At this point, I don't get it and quite frankly, don't give a damn.  I understand the risks and anomalies of working with older versions of computer software when the world keeps leaping forward. 

Dean E. McKaig

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Dean _ I noticed the same thing on MSFT.  Now I get the #Value error msg on ticker symbols, MAIN, MCHP and POT.  These refuse to automatically update, however if I delete them and manually re-input them with the keyboard, then they update.  Strange!  Annoying to have to perform manual inputs for updates.  All of my other ticker symbols update as expected - no error messages.  These three symbols were newly added to my EXCEL s'sheet.  It (the error msg) may have to do something with the way you add new lines and symbols to an existing worksheet.  Anybody else got any ideas?  TIA...

Other:  I too e-mailed the BAT exchange - not their problem. 

RotorMan74

Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:23 PM
  • I have been using this works Great so far.

http://www.technitya.com/content/stock-quotes-excel

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:53 AM