WHS v1 to WHS 2011 without buying 5 new drives... RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting ready to upgrade and have been reading several posts... They all appear to read that the best way to migrate is to copy all data to a backup location, then to the new server.  My old machine is a Pentium D 2.66 with 1GB of ram with 5 x 1TB drives.  I have a new machine with a Core2Duo 2.66 4GB ram and 250gig drive that I plan to load the operating system whs 2011 onto. 

I was hoping to just move my 5x1TB drives to the new server.  I didn't want to have to buy 5 more 1TB drives.  I have a total 2TB of shared folder, 602GB of duplication, 189GB of backup and 23GB System with 1.7TB free space...  I realize there may be an issue moving the first 1TB drive as it has operating system and data as well.  What is the best way to accomplish this move?   Thanks

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:39 PM

All replies

• Since you currently have plenty of free space in your server, just remove a drive from server storage using the console. (You may be able to remove a second if you delete all backups and force a cleanup on the database, and maybe turn off duplication on a share or two.) Install Windows Home Server 2011 on your new hardware, and add that drive as additional storage. Then copy data from one server to the other; as you free space up on the old server, remove a drive, install in your new server, and continue. To speed things up, you could use a USB bridge device to connect the bare drives to your server, then copy from drive to drive.

One thing to be aware of: Windows Home Server 2011 doesn't have Drive Extender. So you'll have to allocate your shares on different drives, and data in any one share is going to be limited by the size of the drive the share is on. This also means there's no duplication, but server backup is a bit more robust.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Thanks for the information... the load is in progress.... I am really going to miss the DE...  That was nice not to have to worry about the drives getting full... I have more movies than what would fit on one 1TB drive.  Now I have to figure a way to break them up...   They have really given up a couple nice features with the DE and the duplication in 2011..   I just hope the benefits out weigh the loss of these...

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Just an FYI - I was able to import my WHS v1 data into WHS 2011 using Drive Bender, which is a DE replacement.  While Drive Bender has only been released for about month, this process worked for me.  There will be an article on MediaSmartServer.net in the next day or two on this.

Obviously, this is a new program and still has a few bugs (4 updates in the 30 days since the product has been released).

Thanks. Paul Carvajal
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Re:  "Obviously, this is a new program and still has a few bugs (4 updates in the 30 days since the product has been released)."

Yes, DB has gone from a free beta to a paid beta!  I am grateful for DivisionM's work, but...it's still not ready for prime time in my opinion.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Just an FYI - I was able to import my WHS v1 data into WHS 2011 using Drive Bender, which is a DE replacement.  While Drive Bender has only been released for about month, this process worked for me.  There will be an article on MediaSmartServer.net in the next day or two on this.

Obviously, this is a new program and still has a few bugs (4 updates in the 30 days since the product has been released).

Thanks. Paul Carvajal

BullDawg
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:43 AM
  • I've been using Drive Bender for 30 days now and when I started with the release version I almost dropped it because of the bugs.  I was extremely disappointed.

With that said, the last two updates have been incredibly stable and working much better now.  As a matter of fact, with version 1.2.1.5, I've actually deployed it on a second machine and have had great results.  The "drive pooling" feature works very well.

I haven't simulated a castrophic failure yet, but I'll be doing that this week.  I've gone from very pessamistic to cautiously optimistic that this will work as designed. 

Thanks. Paul Carvajal
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:56 PM
  • ... They have really given up a couple nice features with the DE and the duplication in 2011.. 

Honestly, duplication is better than nothing, but at the end of the day it might as well be RAID 1, and RAID isn't a data protection technology, so it's not much better than nothing. The ability to extend storage without needing to be concerned with how to allocate data amongst multiple storage devices was nice, though. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:25 PM
  • I started looking at drive bender, and found several out there.   Stablebit, drivebender, datacore, Flexraid,   Do you think they will release a WHS v8.0 now that they are adding it to windows server 8.   Are any of these for 2011 better than the other?
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Also another question when I added the first drive it loaded it as a backup drive, and not a storage drive.   Anyway to change this???
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:15 PM
  • The only thing I've seen in press release is that they've talked about in Windows Server 8 is drive pooling for JBOD.  My understanding on the WHS products is that Microsoft releases the WHS version 3- 4 years AFTER the release of the server version.  Since the Server version isn't out yet, bet you'd be looking at 2014 or 2015 for the next release if history is any indication. 

Alas, who knows at this point what they'll do.  It's so early, I wouldn't even call it speculation at this point.  And they can always change their minds - like removing duplication and DE from WHS 2011 at the last minute.  :-)

Thanks. Paul Carvajal
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Has anyone heard of an issue where WHS 2011 destroys the MP3 metadata and overwrites your mp3 tags and cover art???
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Has anyone heard of an issue where WHS 2011 destroys the MP3 metadata and overwrites your mp3 tags and cover art???

Er, yes! It's real, and Microsoft have issued a Technet note on the issue. Trouble is, most people won't learn of the existence of the issue and the note until after WHS 2011 has destroyed their music metadata (and their sanity).

The note covering the issue (third item in the note) is here

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Well, you can still make a new folder name Mp3 (or whatever name you like), store your valuable mucis files in it, and don't bother with the music folder.

If you follow that route you are very safe on id3 tagging issue. It works great.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:22 PM