Desktop plug-in not installing RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues for Live Mesh Add-in under my windows 7 pro RTM

I tried to connect to remote desktop and tried to enable drag and drop for folder contents off the live desktop and both fail because the Add-in's are not installing.

I have done the following:
    1. lowered internet security to medium
    2. added https://www.mesh.com to the trusted sites list.

what i see is the following:
    i click connect or the "click here to enable file drag and drop"

for the "Click here to enable file drag and drop" i get a dialog confirming i want to install the plugin. Next a IE 8 window pops-up and says installing the Live Desktop plug -in.  A yellow indicator bar appears confirming i want to install the Live Mesh add-on and i allow it. UAC confirms i want to install and  I confirm. After that nothing.

for the "connect" for remote desktop i see a similar problem except once the add-in is supposedlty installed i get a little red x in the browser window.  

I have tried this on my vista box and it works well and none of these issues.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:33 PM

Answers

• Do you mean that you were already connected to the remote PC using RDP in Windows? Indeed, you would not then be able to make a second connection to the machine using any method. Glad you were able to work out at least part of the problem. Please do let us know if you are also able to drag/drop with the ActiveX control installed correctly.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, November 23, 2009 5:11 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:06 PM

All replies

• Try resetting your IE settings to default in the Advanced tab under Tools/Internet options.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Same results. I have not modified any of the settings in IE except for the security to medium to test this issue.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:43 PM
  • OMG... looks like there is atleast "one" benefit in staying Vista. Meshites (!!) fix that in 7 or I ain't upgradin! Thats 4 pcs & 2 notebooks and growing. Pay heed fellas. What Padilla says is importent. You cant be adding up single fies and spend whole you life doing that.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Works for me on Windows 7 32 bit. I just tried it moments ago and I can now drag and drop. On the other hand, I tried Remote Desktop from the Live Desktop and it didn't appear to install the control and it doesn't connect. However, this is a slow connection, so I may be impatient.

Are you using W7 x86 or x64?

-steve
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Update - I disconnected from the Live Desktop and connected again (new tab not new IE instance) and successfully launched RD from Live Desktop.
    -steve
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Alright.

I guess there is a conflict between real remote desktop and the active x version. I was remoting into the computer already via windows remote desktop and tried the active x desktop connection. I am able to connect from windows 7 to my vista box now. I will have to test the drag and drop soon.

Thanks for your help it helped me to think about my setup and trouble shoot the issue better.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Do you mean that you were already connected to the remote PC using RDP in Windows? Indeed, you would not then be able to make a second connection to the machine using any method. Glad you were able to work out at least part of the problem. Please do let us know if you are also able to drag/drop with the ActiveX control installed correctly.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, November 23, 2009 5:11 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:06 PM