WHS basics RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Vista Home Premium on my laptop and Vista Ultimate on my main home PC.  I am attempting to connect to my WHS and then connect to my Vista Ultimate machine from another location.  I can connect to the secure site, but I cannot see the "Computers" tab.  Other computers that I use can see this tab, but this computer cannot.  Does anyone know why?

Thanks!

Jason
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:47 PM

Answers

• Please make sure you're using Internet Explorer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:39 PM

All replies

• Please make sure you're using Internet Explorer.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:39 PM
  •  Yes, I found some instructions that indicated if I was using Firefox I would not be able to access everything.  So, I swapped over and started attempting to access it via IE8.  Well, I keep getting this stupid Certificate Error.  I have been fighting this error all morning.  I installed a new certificate to the "Trusted Root Cerftificatin Authorities" section and still the same error.  I restarted my computer, double checked for any updates, still the error remains.

I cleared out the certificate cache, same error.  I have even uninstalled IE8 and reverted to IE7....STILL THE STUPID ERROR REMAINS!!! (yanks on hair)

I am about ready to go home, light a fire and toss my WHS box into the flames.....

Do you happen to know why I get this error still and how I can fix it?

Thanks!
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:48 PM
  • If you've been keeping your server up to date with patches, then (assuming you're using the homeserver.com domain) you have a free certificate for your server, which is specific to the "xxx.homeserver.com" vanity URL. When you access your server from inside your house, you'll see a certificate error, which is normal.

If you're using some other dynamic DNS provider, the opposite situation holds true: you will not see a certificate error while on your home network, but will from afar. You will need to work out how to get a certificate and install it yourself. In that case, this how-to may be of some use to you. Warning: this is "at your own" risk; it's unsupported and can mess up your web server pretty badly if you do the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Friday, March 27, 2009 7:53 PM